nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50266
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extension tubes" Previous topic | Next topic
radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Wed 16-Jan-13 10:56 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extension tubes"

Cupertino, US

Hi there,
I have a D600 + a Nikon 105mm lens non VR and I am am thinking of getting extension tubes to get closer than what my 105 currently gives me. I am relatively new to macro and would like some tips, suggestions or anything I can get

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 17-Jan-13 12:33 AM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Since you don't have AFS or VR, you have more options. The Kenko tubes are the best choice for those that need electrical pass-through. The Nikon tubes - long out of production but generally still available at a significant price - are significantly better built, but they are incompatible with G lenses. I use a number of non-G macro lenses (including that same 105/f2.8 AFD Micro-Nikkor), and I prefer the Nikon tubes; I use the PN-11 the most.

I now have a 60/f2.8 AFS G Micro, so perhaps I will need to look for some more extension tubes...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Thu 17-Jan-13 01:03 AM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 1

Cupertino, US

thanks.. I am new to the whole extension tube things.. I couldnt find anybody selling it, but found a whole truck load of it on ebay for ~129. Is that genuine? Do you have any shots I can see with the PN-11 and the 105? Thanks!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 17-Jan-13 02:28 AM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Not so easily. Since they have no pass-through, images with the PN-11 (or any of the other Nikon tubes) have no EXIF trace, and so I'd have to go look through the approximately 17,000 images with no focal length EXIF information to try to find them.

There's not much to see, though - you already know how the 105 works. The PN-11 has no glass in it, so unless you botch it up, the results look remarkably like the 105 by itself, only somewhat closer or more magnified.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Thu 17-Jan-13 02:35 AM
#4. "RE: Extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 3

Cupertino, US

Ah ok. Thanks!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50266 Previous topic | Next topic