nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50249
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??" Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sun 13-Jan-13 11:09 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"

Pennsylvania, US

I noticed in the new issue of Digital Photo Magazine (Feb 2013) that Pro-Optic has a product called a "Pro-Optic Macro Zoomer". This is essentially an extension tube 'set' all in one unit that can be zoomed in and out for a continuous range of magnification. It supports auto-focus and auto-exposure. Has anyone used this product or one like it? If so is it useful for you?

For my true macro/micro work I use a Raynox 250 mounted on my 105VR with the R1 Flash system and a 4-way macro focusing rail and am wondering is this zoomer will make things better/worse and or easier.

Any thoughts??

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
13th Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
14th Jan 2013
nkcllewis Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Jan 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 13-Jan-13 06:08 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I'll have to look at that - this is, essentially, a bellows unit with full electronic pass through. In theory this is better than a bellows in that it could have a much less delicate build - zoom helicoids with no glass seem like they could be made far more durable than the bellows.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 13-Jan-13 07:39 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Jan-13 07:57 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Will be very interested in any more information comes along. I have been using Kenko tubes and just picked up the Raynor. Adorama has the zoom x-tensions on on back order.

I was just thinking these would need to be tested to see if they do not act like a vacuum for dust into the camera.

So if someone does get one. That would of interest.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 02:08 AM
398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I first saw it on Adorama's site about two months ago. I've been interested in it but haven't picked on up yet. I was wondering how well it would work with my 300mm f4 af-s for close up work.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 14-Jan-13 02:40 AM
1611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

From what I've read, it work similar to a bellows, but doesn't have the reach a bellows has....12 to 46mm. Even off-brand bellows will extend further than that.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 14-Jan-13 09:23 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

Could you point me to some off market bellows? Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 02:52 PM
3959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

There are some advantages of the zoom over individual tubes but also areas where the tubes have an advantage.

As I see it these are the advantages.

1. Price - The zoom is $128 at Adorama while the set of 3 Kenko tubes is now $199. I got my set for about $160 a couple of years ago.

2. Stability- Maybe. The more tubes you stack the more joints you have which can wobble or sag. I don't know how much play there is in the helicoid on the zoom but it could be more stable.

3. Flexibility - With the zoom you can vary the extension to any length between the two end points, whereas the tubes limit you to distinct extension lengths of the individual tube lengths or stack combinations.

4. Convenience - You don't have to fumble with tubes to change extension.

The potential disadvantages as I see it.

1. Min extension - The zoom range is 46-68mm. The min extension of 46mm is a fairly long min extension. The Kenko tubes are 12mm, 20mm and 36mm so you have 12, 20, 32(12+20) and 36 mm that can be achieved before you reach 46mm. Extension costs light so you may not want to start at 46mm of extension.

2. Focal length - Also regarding zoom range, depending on the lens you're using, you may want a shorter extension. Shorter focal lengths need less extension to achieve the same magnification.

3. Flexibility - While the Kenko tubes don't offer continuous extension they do allow a greater range, from 12mm to 68mm. While there are extension lengths that the zoom can achieve that the tubes can't, the tubes in combination can achieve 12, 20, 32, 36, 48, 56, and 68mm. The zoom has the same 68mm max extension so it doesn't seem to offer that much more flexibility beyond the convenience of the zoom.

Just my $.02.

John

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberMon 14-Jan-13 05:45 PM
4889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Jan-13 05:46 PM by nkcllewis

Washington, US

I'm definately interested; I haven't used my PK-11 in years because of the fumbling about of it all. So, I'm not a big user of extension tubes but was wondering if this could be a kind-of poor man's 70-180 micro nikkor or replacement for a focusing rail for for high mag work.

Kent in VA

"A poor worker always blames his tools" Anonymous

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Mon 14-Jan-13 06:06 PM
9620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Using Zooming X-tension Tubes??"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I'm interested as well, but I'm a bit concerned about vignetting. I've yet to see any data on the inside diameter of the tube.

With the current 60mm "G" lens, this extender would allow about 2:1 magnification at 46mm and almost 2.5:1 at 68mm.

With the 105mm VR, it would allow about 1.6:1 at 46mm and almost 1.9:1 at 68mm. For comparison, using a Nikon 6T with a 105mm VR allows just under 1.5:1, and with the Raynox DCR-250 you can get to 2.25:1. A combination of extension and close-up accessory lenses allow even higher magnifications.

(Right now, I'm having fun playing with a Nikon V1 and low-power microscope combination).

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50249 Previous topic | Next topic