Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50140
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 105 micro question" Previous topic | Next topic
Lnease Registered since 28th Dec 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 01:46 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 105 micro question"
Sat 29-Dec-12 02:03 PM by Lnease

US

Hi, I'm a new member and am deciding on a macro lens for my d7000. I have about decided on the Nikon 105 f2.8 Ed-if af-s vr micro, but had one question. I do plan to use this primarily for macro (mostly flowers, plants and he occasional bug), probably mostly on a tripod. The only criticism i've read of this lens is that at close focusing distances the magnification changes, necessitating reframing, which could make use with a tripod more difficult.

I would love to hear from 105 users if this is really an issue, or just more theoretical problem. The overall reviews of the 105 look great. The other main lens I'm considering is the tokina 100, but I've been so pleased with my other nikon lenses, I'm leaning toward the 105. Any help appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 105 micro question
jtmcg Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
29th Dec 2012
Tinkers Realm
01st Jan 2013
TEITZY Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
blw Moderator
31st Dec 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
Tony_Jeffree
25th Jan 2013
Lnease
31st Dec 2012
gheck58 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 02:33 PM
3495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

I have the Nikon 105 f/2.8 and nearly always use it on a tripod. There is some change in focal length as it's racked from infinity to MFD due to magnification being achieved by internal focusing (the IF in the lens ID). I've never had a problem with it. And I've done focus stacking
with the lens where I'm changing focus points from a fixed position.

I did read that criticism in a review a while ago but I haven't experienced any problem with it and I'm not sure the author ever did either frankly.

John

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 03:43 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

If and when that becomes a problem, you can always buy a focusing rail. This allows several inches of camera movement on the tripod, solving the problem — you can rack the camera front or back without moving the tripod (some more sophisticated models allow lateral movement, too).

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011Tue 01-Jan-13 04:12 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:14 PM by Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US

I always wondered what was the benefit of the rails-is there a specific brand that you prefer?

thanks for this insight.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:06 AM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

I think you mean the focal length changes, not the magnification? Just about every macro lens does this and in practice it is basically irrelevant.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 11:26 AM
26547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I don't know how you'd avoid the "problem" anyway - are there any macro lenses that don't change like that? At any rate, I have used a whole raft of macro lenses and they all do the same thing. And I usually shoot macro on a tripod, too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 04:41 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There's no way to change the focal length, since it's a 105mm lens. The closer you focus, the greater the magnification ratio.

Once you get to a certain distance, moving the tripod small amounts becomes problematic. A 2-way focus rail will solve this issue, allowing you to move the camera/lens up to 12" (depending on the rail you purchase) without moving the tripod.

You can also purchase 4-way focus rails (or buy two 2-way rails and put them together yourself), which will not only allow front-to-back movement, but side-to-side as well

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 08:24 PM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 5

WUNGHNU, AU

>There's no way to change the focal length, since it's a 105mm
>lens.

Well actually it's pretty well known that the effective focal length of most modern macro lenses does indeed change (get smaller) at or near the minimum focus distance. I know my Tamron 60f2 is only about 50mm at its MFD.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Fri 25-Jan-13 09:47 AM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 5

Manchester, GB

>There's no way to change the focal length, since it's a 105mm
>lens. The closer you focus, the greater the magnification
>ratio.

The lens in question is an IF (internal focus) lens; IF is achieved by reducing the effective focal length of the lens in order to achieve closer (than infinity) focus. In general, the quoted focal length of a lens is its FL when focused at infinity.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

Lnease Registered since 28th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 06:28 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks so much for all the replies! I've always enjoyed close-up photography, but this will be my first real macro lens, so i just wanted to make sure this wasn't a major issue. Ordered the 105 today!

Thanks again

ln

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Wed 02-Jan-13 12:02 AM
2737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon 105 micro question"
In response to Reply # 6

Aliso Viejo, US

Don't stress over it, it's a very minor issue. This lens is fantastic. Here are a couple of hand held examples at f/8.

Hecky

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.