Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50139
View in linear mode

Subject: "Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' " Previous topic | Next topic
chipshorter Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 01:45 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
Sat 29-Dec-12 01:56 AM by chipshorter

Philadelphia, US

Caught in his natural habitat (my basement). I realize that a dirty basement floor is not the best backdrop for this kind of picture, but sometimes one takes what one can get.

This was a Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 35mm reversed. 1/60 with a flash, f16 or f22.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild'
OnTERRYo Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
chipshorter Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
nikocarol Silver Member
01st Jan 2013

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 02:14 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Chris.

That is an excellent shot.
I believe you are the first Nikonian that I have found to also have a reversing ring. Mine is a BR2A but I have not had any results close to what you have in your basement 'studio'.

Keep shooting.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

chipshorter Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 06:38 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 1

Philadelphia, US

Terry-

Thanks for your generous comments I do wish he didn't have a hair on his face(mouth?). My basic Photoshop skills weren't sufficient to get rid of it cleanly.

I know a lot of people use proper macro lenses on here. I have a 60mm Nikkor Micro too, that's pretty fantastic, as well as a set of extension tubes. I got the reversal ring (the cheapo fotodiox from Amazon) because I love to experiment. I have found that some lenses work better than others when reversed, but they all need a little curve adjustment for clarity. This lens, the old 35mm f2, has been my favorite for magnification, ease of use and satisfactory results. The 50mm 1.8 is nice too, but the magnification is obviously not as strong.

Take care,
-Chris

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 29-Dec-12 07:03 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Great menacing attitude on this creature. I am just looking into reversing and never thought about just reversing a lens on the camera, as opposed to reversing a lens on the front of another. Will have to look into what lenses work best. If you have any hints please shar

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:25 AM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 3

WUNGHNU, AU

Nice job on this one Chris.

Victor, the 50 1.8D is a popular lens for reversing. Having a manual aperture ring also makes the job a bit easier.

Peter Forsell has some good macro lens info here if you are interested.
http://www.peterforsell.com/macro.html

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 31-Dec-12 12:31 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

Thanks. Spent part of yesterday experimenting with the 50 1.8, tubes, reversing, and a diopter to see what is most practical for field work and specifically what my maximum magnification is at a workable distance outdoors. I can get amazing ratios mmm's from the subject, but I need some distance in the field. The website you mentioned is certainly very useful. Last year I was working with my 105mm and a 36mm extension tube. We will see how it goes. Thanks again.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

nikocarol Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2010Tue 01-Jan-13 02:38 PM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Close-up Centipede in the 'wild' "
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

WOW, now that is some shot. Everytime I have seen a centipede he is off and running..Bravo for getting him to sit while you took that shot.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50139 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.