Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus Stacking Question" Previous topic | Next topic
TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Sat 22-Dec-12 02:28 PM
442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus Stacking Question"
Sat 22-Dec-12 02:29 PM by TerryMc

Sagamore Hills, US

Been playing around with stacking as of late. Is there a min-max number of pictures suggestion for stacking?

I'm using Control My Nikon for focus stacking and CombineZP for processing.

Terry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus Stacking Question
Pete Wilson Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Dec 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
28th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
rwwright Platinum Member
31st Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member
31st Dec 2012

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 03:00 PM
866 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

It all depends on the photo and what you are trying to achieve. Macro shots with very shallow DOF will probably require more photos than a landscape image. You want your stack to include all the range that you want in focus with 30-50% overlap in focus from shot to shot. A good DOF calculator would come in very handy for this.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 04:00 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 23-Dec-12 01:02 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Pete's right, it depends entirely on the subject and your f-stop. For me a good rule of thumb is 5 shots for every inch of depth you want to achieve. That's using a 105VR at f/8 on something a foot to 18 inches of the lens.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 12:47 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You need to know two numbers:

The total DOF you wish to achieve in the final image, and the DOF of the lens/camera/aperture combination you're shooting with.

Dividing the first by the second will give you the minimum number of shots needed.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 28-Dec-12 03:20 PM
3554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

It depends on the subject. I've used as few as 2 and probably as many as 14 or 15, don't remember exactly.

My focus stacking shooting is pretty much all done in the field so I don't do DOF calculations. I generally try to pay attention to the nearest and farthest points that I want to be in focus and manually change focus going through the range. You have to be careful with identifying the nearest and farthest points, it's easy to make a mistake. Needless to say you also have to be careful to overlap focus steps.

I also use CombineZP. It's an excellent program.

John

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:17 AM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

If you are using a tripod on a static subject then you should be able to do stacks with hundreds of images IN THEORY. The reality is that the more images you use the greater the likelihood of alignment issues and artifacts.

I've done up to 50 images with a handheld stack in CZP so using a tripod you shold be able to hundreds as long as your technique is sound. Sometimes with CZP you may also need to try several different stacking methods or reverse the images to get a useable stack.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Mon 31-Dec-12 10:07 PM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Fairview, TX, US

been trying to figure focus stacking out. had czp but kept abending if i used more than 5 images (big computer, d800, jpg fine)

ended up with "control my nikon" and "zirene" stacker.

there is a tutorial with zerene showing photo of a small flower and they use 30 shots at what they call a 50 in focus changes.

I find this software better for me than the czp was. probably a personal problem.

My Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 31-Dec-12 10:55 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus Stacking Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

I have no problems with Helicon Focus.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50107 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.