Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49995
View in linear mode

Subject: "Native Drone Fly" Previous topic | Next topic
TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 10:53 PM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Native Drone Fly"
Sun 02-Dec-12 10:55 PM by TEITZY

WUNGHNU, AU

One of my favourite macro subjects is the Native Drone Fly. It's actually a species of hoverfly and a great looking fly with those distinctive freckled compound eyes.

Cheers
Leigh

1. 2 image stack

2. 3 image stack

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Native Drone Fly
af4nc Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
Scotty45 Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
07th Dec 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
tityansk Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
JAB1
18th Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
JAB1
19th Dec 2012
phoridae Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
TEITZY Silver Member
26th Dec 2012

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 10:16 PM
3192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice job, well done

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Tue 04-Dec-12 05:56 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice shots Leigh. I don't recall seeing any of those guys around my way....Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 06:30 AM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

Thanks Tom & Scotty.

Scotty they have not been that abundant up here especially in the cooler weather. Some hot and humid weather will bring them out though.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 11:42 AM
1907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

I'm blown away by shots like these every time I visit this forum. Besides practice and experience what does it take to get shots like these? What equipment did you use?

Scottie

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 06:29 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

As always, the master. You rock, Leigh.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Sun 09-Dec-12 08:14 AM
#6. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

Thanks Scottie & Mark for your kind words.

Scottie, I use a D300 & Tamron 60f2 + 68mm Kenko tubes for 95% of my macro work. This setup gives me up to 2.36x life size and allows you capture significant detail in most critters bigger than 2mm in length.

My standard settings for nearly all my shots are 1/200, f16, ISO400 and the only thing that varies is the flash power on my diffused SB800 which is usually between 1/16-1/64 power. The flash is mounted on a bracket and positioned at about 10 o'clock at the front of the lens.

I mostly shoot handheld (#3) or use a monopod if I need to stand (#1 & #2).

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 09-Dec-12 05:52 PM
1907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 6

Lexington, US

Thanks for the info, Leigh.

Scottie

tityansk Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2008Fri 28-Dec-12 10:20 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 6

PUNE, IN

Very well executed as always, every time you post, you have some amazing shots.

Thanks for sharing images and your setup.

>I mostly shoot handheld (#3) or use a monopod if I need to
>stand (#1 & #2).
This is incredible, working at ~2.5 magnification with handheld.

Regards,
Hemant
Nikonian from Pune, India
F80, D90

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 02:19 AM
#14. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 13

WUNGHNU, AU

Thanks Hemant

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

JAB1 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 03:22 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Awesome shots!!! I really am growing fond of macro, thanks for the details on your setup. I really want a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. Do you think that would work well with the spacing tubes for macro, or do I need a macro specific lens??

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 08:06 PM
#9. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 8

WUNGHNU, AU

Thanks Jay. Yes the 50 1.8 makes a good macro with the Kenko tubes. From memory the 36mm tube gives you about 1:1 reproduction but of course working distance is fairly short but still useable for bugs.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

JAB1 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 06:43 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>Thanks Jay. Yes the 50 1.8 makes a good macro with the Kenko
>tubes. From memory the 36mm tube gives you about 1:1
>reproduction but of course working distance is fairly short
>but still useable for bugs.
>
>Cheers
>Leigh

Great, thanks for the feedback Leigh I am looking forward to trying this very soon!! Right now I have a tamron 28-80 and a nikon 70-300, both cheaper consumer lenses. I have been playing around with closeups with what I have, but cant wait to get a new lense and a kenko tube, so it will be great if I can get 50 and use it for multipurpose with addition of the tube!!

Jay

phoridae Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2003Sun 23-Dec-12 01:49 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 10

Monrovia, US

Nice resolution, especially with f/16. No apparent diffraction softness.

Brian

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Wed 26-Dec-12 06:45 AM
#12. "RE: Native Drone Fly"
In response to Reply # 11

WUNGHNU, AU

Thanks Brian. I think the measly 12mp sensor on my D300 helps a bit with diffraction issues It will be interesting to see how detail is effected shooting at 2x lifesize & f16 with a 24mp DX sensor. I have seen some 100% crops of the D800 at f16 and sharpness does hold up remarkably well.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49995 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.