nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49813
View in linear mode

Subject: "Been a while..." Previous topic | Next topic
TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Thu 08-Nov-12 04:09 AM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Been a while..."

Dusted off the macro recently and got a few bugs while I had some spare time. Usual set up - outdated D300 with el cheapo Tamron 60f2 & kenko tubes & lighting via discontinued SB800 on bracket. Photographer is also well past his use by date

Cheers
Leigh

1. Paper wasp
Click on image to view larger version

2. Flutterby

3. Elephant weevil

4. Oleander abstract

5. Fruit fly

6. Jumper with lunch

7. Hover fly

8. Plume moth

9. Crane fly

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Been a while... glxman Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... latessa Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... VR8 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... Rassie Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Been a while... TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... buddyro48 Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
09th Nov 2012
09th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... jordivb
10th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... pixmax
11th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Been a while... TZ750F
11th Nov 2012
12th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... Stagecoach Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Been a while... TerryMc Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
15th Nov 2012
15th Nov 2012
15th Nov 2012
16th Nov 2012

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Thu 08-Nov-12 06:30 AM
3543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome back!
Only wish I could get the same quality,
Very inspiring images, every one of them
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

latessa Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 15th Nov 2009 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:34 AM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Superb shots. How on earth do you get so close?

Eddie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Thu 08-Nov-12 09:30 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Terrific shots. Incredible detail. Thanks for sharing.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Thu 08-Nov-12 10:32 AM
4068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Leigh,

Good to see you back. Great work as usual.

John

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Thu 08-Nov-12 01:19 PM
3060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

If this is the stuff an obsolete photographer with obsolete equipment is capable of, may you and your equipment live another 100 years!

Very nice, Leigh.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rocky Hill, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Thu 08-Nov-12 03:09 PM
4788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

The "Master" is back and still able to produce superb images with all that old equipment. Very nice shooting,Leigh.

Rick

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Thu 08-Nov-12 07:43 PM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the comments. Note of sarcasm in the OP about my gear though I may be 100 by the time Nikon releases a true D300 replacement

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rocky Hill, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:44 PM
4788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 7

Maybe with the D5200 just coming out,the D400 will be right around the corner. I keep getting tempted by the D800E but would rather have a D400. Heres hoping.

Rick

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Thu 08-Nov-12 11:42 PM
#10. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 9

Yes I am sure the D400 is not far away. If the D800/600 did 8fps I would be happy picking up one of them, though if I only shot macro I would probably already have one If the D5200 had FP sync flash mode I would consider that just as a dedicated macro body.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Milwaukee, US  Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:42 PM
5318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Inspiring images!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

buddyro48 Silver Member  Santa Maria, US  Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009 Fri 09-Nov-12 12:26 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Incredible as usual Leigh....

Been wondering where you've been...

Fantastic images,

Regards,
Michael

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Dallas, US  Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007 Fri 09-Nov-12 04:15 AM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Always inspirational, Leigh. I particularly love #2 - superb contrast and sharpness. That old gear certainly isn't holding you back!

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Fri 09-Nov-12 06:43 AM
#13. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks all for your kind words.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

jordivb   Manresa, ES  Registered since 01st Mar 2009 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:08 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome images!
Long life to your 'old' gear!
And long life to your talented work!
Thanks for sharing and teaching us.

Ilove #1 particularly,

Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

pixmax   MX  Registered since 07th Nov 2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 07:11 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 14

Really superb shots, best I've seen which have all the attributes of excelent color, focus, contrast, framing you name it. Outstanding images all the way.

Best wishes to you.
Cheers, Antonio

TZ750F   Brisbane, AU  Registered since 06th Nov 2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:51 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 15

Awesome images leigh, do you get all those handheld?, the sharpness is amazing.

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Mon 12-Nov-12 10:29 AM
#18. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 16

I used a tripod for the weevil which is a 6 image stack and for the others they are either handheld or with a monopod.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

Stagecoach Silver Member  Suva, FJ  Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2009 Mon 12-Nov-12 08:02 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Simply inspirational ! The masters back.

TerryMc Silver Member  Sagamore Hills, US  Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:28 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 0

Really amazing! Your technique is superb.

I also throughly enjoyed looking at all the detail on the insects. The detail in the eyes is great.

Terence

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Thu 15-Nov-12 09:47 AM
#20. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 19

Thanks Terry.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

TerryMc Silver Member  Sagamore Hills, US  Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008 Thu 15-Nov-12 01:06 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 20

Quick question Leigh.

I watch a show here called Wild Ohio. It's a soup to nuts program but one episode they had a Entomologist on that was studying spiders. He used a pole and a net to knock them out of the trees. He would then capture one and put it in a small plastic tube (about the size of a film container). He would then gas it with a small amount of CO (I think it was CO). It was enough to incapacitate it however it did no harm to the insect and after a little while it would "wake up" and off it would go.

Do you use something like this?

Terence

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Thu 15-Nov-12 08:56 PM
#22. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 21
Thu 15-Nov-12 08:57 PM by TEITZY

Hi Terry,
I never use anything to sedate my subjects as it really is unnecessary. From time to time I will relocate them inside or somewhere more practical. Also sometimes I use bait (like honey) to attract subjects and keep them occupied while I take photos.

Jumping spiders are fairly inquisitive and often 'pose' for the camera and I can usually coax them onto my hand so pretty easy to capture. With flies, most feed on pollen so when they are feeding they pretty much ignore the camera. Long legged flies (doli's) are probably the most skittish and tend to turn away from the camera as well. With bees it's easiest to get them when the temperature is low or when a storm front is coming through they tend to be more sluggish and after rain you can usually find some that are still warming up that are easy photograph (I like to put them on my finger and photograph them that way).

At the end of the day it's knowing your subjects and their behaviour that allows you to get plenty of shots with out having to gas, freeze or kill your subject

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

TerryMc Silver Member  Sagamore Hills, US  Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008 Fri 16-Nov-12 10:38 AM
#23. "RE: Been a while..."
In response to Reply # 22

Thanks Leigh.

We have purple cone flowers in the front yard which the bees love. Come fall, along with cool nights, you're able to see the bumble bees laying on their side, on the flower tops, in the morning. They won't move until the sun starts their engines again.

I would never kill an insect to photograph either. I go out of my way to make sure that spiders found in the home make it outside alive. I always try to keep a small footprint.

Thanks again and great work.

Terence

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49813 Previous topic | Next topic