Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49767
View in linear mode

Subject: "Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup" Previous topic | Next topic
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 02-Nov-12 08:29 PM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"

Ann Arbor, US

I thought I would share an abstract photomicrograph I took last month. This is a microscopic view of Michigan maple syrup that was allowed to crystalize on a glass slide. The colors were due to cross-polarization. The horizontal field width of this image is 690 microns (0.69 mm., about 100X). 8 image stack.

All the technical mumbo-jumbo aside, I just thought it was pretty.

Click on the image below to see a larger view in my gallery.

For those of you who want to know the details, this was taken with a Nikon Eclipse Ci microscope, Plan 10X/0.25 NA lens, and a Nikon D300s digital camera. 1/20 sec, ISO 200. The image stack was aligned and stacked using the Zerene Stacker program. Post-processing was done with PhotoShop CS5.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup
AUMike Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
domer2760 Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
04th Nov 2012
domer2760 Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
04th Nov 2012
Cavy2 Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Micro Abstract - Another Polarized Crystal
domer2760 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Sat 03-Nov-12 12:33 AM
1161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

Cool stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sat 03-Nov-12 10:41 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

I find it pretty too! Love combination of ochres and blues....

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 04-Nov-12 11:55 AM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Jordi and Mike,
Thank you for your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 02:28 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Beautiful image, Dan. You have some cool tools! Is it lit from below, and how do you achieve the polarization?

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 04-Nov-12 04:56 PM
#5. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 4

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Mark,
Yes, it is lit from below. I placed a linear polarizer on the light source that shines upward from the base of the microscope (the field lens). The second linear polarizer is on a slider above the objective turret. I rotate the first polarizer until the background gets dark and the colors just pop out of the sample. Colors vary based upon the chemical composition of the sample and its thickness. I did not use a coverslip on this prep so the final thickness is uneven - hence the different colors. This type of abstract is an acquired taste. The maple syrup however, is always good.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 07:30 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 5

Dallas, US

Sounds like great fun, Dan. It's certainly working for you. Definitely, try not to waste too much syrup...

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 01:09 PM
4462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup"
In response to Reply # 6

Newtown, US

Hi Dan,
Beautiful colors, nicely executed! This would make a beautiful print, or even use it for a texture layer. Wow a Nikon Eclipse Ci microscope, I can only imagine the fun you can have with that.

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 02:40 AM
#8. "RE: Micro Abstract - Another Polarized Crystal"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 05:03 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Microscopic landscape shot. I wanted to show the color variation that comes from using cross-polarization on a different type of compound. 15 image stack.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49767 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.