Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49749
View in linear mode

Subject: "November Contest - Gadgets" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 01:59 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"November Contest - Gadgets"

US

This months theme is Gadgets, defined as a small mechanical device or tool. We all have plenty of gadgets around the house, pencil sharpener, CF card reader, knife sharpener, nail clipper, battery charger, hot shoe level, swiss army knife....

We are looking for well compose, closeup captures or relatively small gadgets.

December Theme: Best/Favorite of 2012

RULES:
--Post up to 7 images but only one image/post
--Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
--Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners
--When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
--Include a title in the subject line
--Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
--Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
--WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice

The top images will be selected by the previous months winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image will be added to the Macro Contest Winners Gallery

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Swiss Army knife
jordivb Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
Reply message BiC Lighter
zebethyal Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message Torque Driver
zebethyal Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message Crocodile Clip
zebethyal Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message Card Reader
zebethyal Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message Small Ball Chain
dhalloxf Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
Reply message Micro Ball Head and Cold Shoe
domer2760 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
Reply message Clips
domer2760 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: November Contest - Just Checking
AartPapaya Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
domer2760 Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
Reply message Ouch!
lastdaylight Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Reply message Engine
lastdaylight Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Reply message Compass
lastdaylight Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Compass
jordivb Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
TFCJRMD Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
Reply message Subtraction
Searider Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
Reply message The Ultimate Gadget....
bob1217 Silver Member
25th Nov 2012
Reply message Screwdriver Set
philipl Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
Reply message Knife
philipl Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
Reply message Wood Mortar
pixmax
29th Nov 2012
Reply message Old Friend
Searider Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
Reply message Micrometer
philipl Gold Member
30th Nov 2012
Reply message Miniature tri-pod
gmth Gold Member
30th Nov 2012

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sun 04-Nov-12 08:08 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Swiss Army knife"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

OK, I open this one with one of my favourite gadgets.
Shot with D300 Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8D f20 1/2s 200 ISO SB24 + softbox and SB800

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

zebethyal Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 01:11 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "BiC Lighter"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Nov-12 02:27 PM by zebethyal

Harrow, GB

Bic Lighter, shot with Fuji S2 Pro, Micro Nikkor AF 105 f/2.8D + SB29s Ringflash @ ISO 800, f/45, 1/125s, hand held.

zebethyal Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 01:45 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Torque Driver"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 08-Nov-12 02:27 PM by zebethyal

Harrow, GB

Sun "Torque Screwdriver" for Mx000 CPU boards
shot with Fuji S2 Pro, Micro Nikkor AF 105 f/2.8D + SB29s Ringflash @ ISO 800, f/45, 1/125s, hand held.

(sorry replied to the wrong thread)

zebethyal Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 02:01 PM
#4. "Crocodile Clip"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Nov-12 02:28 PM by zebethyal

Harrow, GB

Crocodile Clip, shot with Fuji S2 Pro, Micro Nikkor AF 105 f/2.8D + SB29s Ringflash @ ISO 100, f/45, 1/125s, hand held.

zebethyal Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 02:49 PM
#5. "Card Reader"
In response to Reply # 0

Harrow, GB

Compact Flash Card Reader, shot with Fuji S2 Pro, Micro Nikkor AF 105 f/2.8D + SB29s Ringflash @ ISO 100, f/45, 1/125s, hand held.

dhalloxf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Oct 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 02:14 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Small Ball Chain"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

This is a small ball chain (4 balls per cm)that was attached to a store purchase. I used natural light from a window and my camera and tripod can be seen in the reflections. This is a four shot focus stack at f/16,1/2 sec,D300,Tokina 100mm,two Kenko extension tubes for 56mm total,ISO 200.

Dave

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 12-Nov-12 02:32 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Micro Ball Head and Cold Shoe"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Nov-12 03:41 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

A photo of a photo gadget or a photo gadget photo or... never mind! Micro ball head and stroboframe cold shoe. The knob is not red because this is an infrared photograph. IR was chosen because the anti-alias filter was removed during the IR conversion. The resulting images are sharper than those obtained from my unconverted D90. I think of it as my poor man's D800E.

D90IR (720mn conversion), Nikkor 105mm macro f/2.8G VR, f/11, 1/60 sec, +0.33 EV, ISO 320, flash, reflectors, and diffusers.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 17-Nov-12 09:22 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Clips"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

They are handy and they are everywhere!

D700, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @ 120mm, f/10, 1/20 sec, ISO 200. Shot outdoors against a natural background.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 05:37 PM
2148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: November Contest - Just Checking"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

I find my keyboard very handy. This fellow was just checking to see what I was doing.

D200 1/250 f16 ISO 200 Sigma 50mm/f2.8

Hand held, ring-flash held at an angle +- 90-degrees to the lens.

Aart

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 18-Nov-12 07:01 PM
#10. "RE: November Contest - Just Checking"
In response to Reply # 9

Ann Arbor, US

Aart, your computer seems to have a bug! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 05:24 AM
2148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: November Contest - Just Checking"
In response to Reply # 10

Hectorspruit, ZA

Thank you I enjoyed your quip. I actually posted the wrong picture

Aart

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 04:31 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Ouch!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

A gadget for crushing fingers... Ok, that's not really what it's for, but it works for that. It's really for crimping coaxial connectors.

D300, 200mm micro, f/16, 1.3 sec, ISO 200

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 04:36 AM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Engine"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Perhaps a bit large for gadgets (about 11 inches tall) but definitely small for an engine. 4-stroke model engine based on Jan Ridders' "Otto" design.

D300, 35mm 1.8, f/8, 1/80 sec ISO 400

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 04:41 AM
#14. "Compass"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Suunto compass. 7-image stack in CombineZP to get everything in focus.

D300, 60mm D micro, f/16, 1.3 sec, ISO 200

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 08:53 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Compass"
In response to Reply # 14

Manresa, ES

I love this picture!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 12:18 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Compass"
In response to Reply # 14

Bowling Green, US

Excellent color and composition.
Thad

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 01:24 AM
#18. "RE: Compass"
In response to Reply # 17

Dallas, US

Thanks, guys.

Mark Smith

My Nikonians Gallery

Searider Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2004Wed 21-Nov-12 01:40 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Subtraction"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

D800 using Nikor 85 f1.4
1/500 at f1.7 ISO:320.
spot metering

-------------------------------------------------
You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
-- Arlo Guthrie --

-Michael-

More Pictures : http://pbase.com/mboswell

bob1217 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 03:01 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "The Ultimate Gadget...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Nov-12 03:06 PM by bob1217

Monroe, US

....the Leatherman Surge!

Nikon D300, Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI-S lens reverse-mounted to camera with Nikon BR-2A reversing ring. Nikon R-1 Macro Lighting Kit with three Nikon SB-R200 Speedlights mounted loosely on lens at 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions, variably aimed and powered to create moderate cross-lighting. Diffusers used over all flash heads. Camera pop-up flash used as Commander but powered off to prevent exposure. Nikon MC-30 shutter release. Black cloth used as backdrop.

1/250 second with lens set to f/32, ISO 200, manually focused using Live View. Metadata not available due to reverse-mounting of lens.

Gitzo GT3541 tripod with center column removed, Markins Q20 ball head, Markins TB-30 base plate, and RRS BD-300L L-bracket.

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 10:50 AM
1738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Screwdriver Set"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D300, 200 micro, 1/125 sec, F5.6 on board flash

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 11:01 AM
1738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "Knife"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D300, 105 micro, F4, 1/125 camera flash

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

pixmax Registered since 07th Nov 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 08:38 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Wood Mortar"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 30-Nov-12 05:45 PM by pixmax

MX

Kitchen tool and ideas for what ingredients could be used. Could qualify as a gadget/tool?
D200, 18-55mm kit lens @ 44mm, f5.3, 1/8”, ISO 250, natural lighting from a window, handheld

Searider Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2004Fri 30-Nov-12 02:06 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "Old Friend"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

D800
105 micro nikor (first day with new lense)
1/125s at F11
ISO 22,807

You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
-- Arlo Guthrie --

-Michael-

More Pictures : http://pbase.com/mboswell

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 12:30 PM
#24. "Micrometer"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D800, 105 micro, F4.5, 1/160 ISO 6400, -.3EV

Philip

My Gallery

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Fri 30-Nov-12 03:43 PM
649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "Miniature tri-pod"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 30-Nov-12 07:13 PM by gmth

Lewisville, US

Miniature tri-pod...D800 200mm f2.8 1/200 6400

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49749 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.