nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49748
View in linear mode

Subject: "Congratulations to jordivb!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 01:37 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Congratulations to jordivb!!!"

US

Congratulations to Jordi, aka, jordivb for his winning image, Flip a coin: Heads or Tails? in the Coins contest. His winning image has been added to the Macro Contest Winners Gallery

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!
VR8 Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
02nd Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
02nd Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
TerryMc Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
jordivb Silver Member
07th Nov 2012

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 01-Nov-12 09:06 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Indeed an incredible piece of work!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 02-Nov-12 09:40 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Manresa, ES

Thanks Victor! Glad you liked it!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Fri 02-Nov-12 12:52 AM
827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Very nice, Jordi. Well done.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 02-Nov-12 09:39 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 02-Nov-12 10:11 PM by jordivb

Manresa, ES

Thanks Mark. Your image was also impressive, as usual.
A great rival!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 01:09 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Congrats Jordi,
One of those, "how did he do that?" images
Great knowledge and skill,
Regards,
Gary

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 02-Nov-12 10:08 PM
#7. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 03-Nov-12 09:06 AM by jordivb

Manresa, ES

Thanks Gary!

Yours is likely a rethoric question, but I have no problem in sharing:

1) Inspiration:
Coins subject was dull to me (got too poor a knowledge on numismatic ). But I recalled that soccer referees do flip a coin to assign fields at the begining of the game. I thought action and close-up would do a working mixture.
I also recalled my lessons on physics, where stroboscopic images were used to describe movement (computer graphic simulation did not even exist )

2) Preparation:
Flipping by hand made proper capture an enormous task, if not impossible, so I decided to build an spring loaded contraption (tomorrow I'll post a picture of it, maybe I win the "Gadgets" contest with it ) to flip the coin with repeatability, provided I forecasted a lot of launches to get The Capture. Black backdrop was 1.5 m away. 105 Micro was on the D300 at approx 1 m distance. SB 800 was on the hot shoe set at stroboscopic (repeat) mode.

3) Execution:
Tried different coins for different weights and chose Swiss franc as long as it detached better from the backdrop than our current Euro. Made several launches to learn how to get rolling movement and to estimate the position of the top of the parabolic path to set focus at that region. Stopping down to f/16 gave adequate DOF. Then I made trials with different settings on frequency and number of shots (Flash settings) to get proper flipping images within 1s shutter open. I ended with good imaged around 80Hz 10 shoots.

And, after all this process and with a great deal of patience and good luck, I ended up with an acceptable image. One of my daugthers helped me and we spent a nice evening in the garage with the trials....

I am delighted you all liked it...

Thanks again!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 10:08 PM
11741 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

What a cool image. Congratulations Jordi!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 02-Nov-12 10:10 PM
#8. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Manresa, ES

Many thanks Dave! Glad you liked it!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 03-Nov-12 01:49 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Jordi....with your combination of Inspiration, Preparation, Execution and resulting final image, this was certainly a worthy winner.
Congratulations!

Best regards,
Darryl

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sat 03-Nov-12 08:34 AM
#10. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Manresa, ES

Thank you Darryl!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Tue 06-Nov-12 12:10 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sagamore Hills, US

Congrats!

Terence

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Wed 07-Nov-12 06:52 PM
#12. "RE: Congratulations to jordivb!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Manresa, ES

Thanks!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49748 Previous topic | Next topic