nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49562
View in linear mode

Subject: "Holding a flower/plant still" Previous topic | Next topic
TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Wed 10-Oct-12 08:13 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Holding a flower/plant still"
Wed 10-Oct-12 08:14 PM by TerryMc

Sagamore Hills, US

Has anyone built a contraption for holding a subject, like a flower, still while shooting in breezy conditions?

Something with a weight, telescoping flexible arm and alligator clip perhaps?

Thanks!

Terence

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Holding a flower/plant still
OnTERRYo Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
aolander Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
TerryMc Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
rb4good Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
11th Oct 2012
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography.
11th Oct 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Wed 10-Oct-12 08:46 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Terry.

This is a tough situation. You need it still but do not want anything considered as a prop in the image.

How about using a screen/wind break around the flower?
I use a foamboard as a relector.
It's about 36" X 20", lightweight, inexpensive, handy, etc.
Could a couple of those work?

Probably not the answer you wanted

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 10-Oct-12 10:51 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

How about a "Plamp"?

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/wimberley-plamp-articulating-arm-clamp.html

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Wed 10-Oct-12 11:21 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 2

Sagamore Hills, US

>How about a "Plamp"?
>
>http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/wimberley-plamp-articulating-arm-clamp.html

Perfect, thank you.

Terence

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 10-Oct-12 11:25 PM
4532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 2

Rocky Hill, US

I have a "plamp" and it works very well. You either have to anchor it to your tripod or something like a stake pushed into the ground by your subject. They are kind of pricey and you may be able to fabricate something else from items from your local hardware store. I also use it a lot for indoor studeo type flower work during the winter months. I more often than not,try to shoot at sun-up when it seems to be the calmest.

Rick

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 11-Oct-12 01:07 PM
3949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

There's also McClamp. I have both versions, double clamp version and stick and clamp version. I use the stick and clamp version more than the double clamp version but YMMV. Available at B&H, etc.

http://www.fmphotography.us/html/mcclamp.html

John

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 11-Oct-12 11:42 PM
847 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Terry,
Another alternative is to make a windbox. See the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUhbhXbslW4

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 12:00 AM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Holding a flower/plant still"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 09-Dec-12 12:01 AM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Windbreak, and/or wait for it...the wind will usually lessen or stop blowing for a short time; then, electronic flash and max. sync shutter speed.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49562 Previous topic | Next topic