Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spider Help" Previous topic | Next topic
BigEars Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2008Sun 09-Sep-12 10:12 AM
939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spider Help"
Sun 09-Sep-12 10:45 AM by BigEars

Dundee, GB

After being bitten by mosquitos yesterday while creeping around the local "bug alley". The phots I took of a very fine looking spider were a bit of a disappointment. It was too windy to try a stack but it's hard with a spider to find distinguishing features to connect with the viewer.

Any tips would be appreciated.

D300 Tamron 90mm f13 1/200 iso 200 tripod and flash (-1.7ev) with diffusor.

regards,
Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sun 09-Sep-12 08:00 PM
3370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spider Help"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Hi Alan

Nice work on the spider. I think the flash washed it out a bit though. I tried toning it down. See what you think.

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

BigEars Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2008Tue 11-Sep-12 09:25 AM
939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spider Help"
In response to Reply # 1

Dundee, GB

Thanks John. My main disappointment when viewing the image was an inability to make any sense of it. I'm not sure that's the best way to describe the feeling.

Would you say it's OK as spider pictures go or should I be looking at another angle that would grab the viewers' attention?

regards,
Alan

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 11-Sep-12 11:50 AM
3370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spider Help"
In response to Reply # 2

Simsbury, US

Hi Alan,

>Would you say it's OK as spider pictures go or should I be
>looking at another angle that would grab the viewers'
>attention?

I think it's technically well handled. It's sharp in the right places, and has good color and definition. I think toning down the flash helps the color.

But orb web spiders can be difficult from a composition standpoint. They present DOF problems and the 8 legs are often all over the place which can make the image confusing to look at. If you focus on the head the abdomen can be soft or vice versa. The webs are usually at an angle tilting away from vertical and they tend to sit on the underside of the web. So in order to shoot the top of the spider you're down on the ground. Also movement of the web in the slightest air current can make it difficult to get it sharp and can make it difficult to make images that will align for a stack.

I shot the attached Banded Argiope early in the morning. It's a 4 frame stack and she sat still long enough for me to get the 4 images. On an earlier attempt she moved her abdomen forward a bit between frames. It wasn't noticeable in the field, but was apparent when viewed on the computer and caused ghosting when I tried to stack the frames. In this set she posed nicely and stayed still long enough for me to get the shots for a stack.

I've shot them from various angles from head on to a side view. It's not always possible to shoot parallel to the web but I try to get as close as possible to parallel to help with DOF. It's nice if you can get them in the classic head down pose in the middle of the web or at least in a pose where the leg positions don't make it difficult to figure out what you're looking at.

Happy hunting.

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

BigEars Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2008Tue 11-Sep-12 05:49 PM
#4. "RE: Spider Help"
In response to Reply # 3

Dundee, GB

Thanks for the advice John. I've been back to the original, toned down the highlights and boosted the saturation a little and it now looks very like your adjustment.

I agree entirely that it's difficult for the eye to work out exactly what's where.

regards,
Alan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49320 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.