Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49225
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange bug" Previous topic | Next topic
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 12:58 AM
4434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Strange bug"

Fort Pierce, US

Hi all.

Found these bugs on my Pine tree. They're about 1/4 inch long. I don't have any idea what they are. Does anyone know?

Taken with my 200 f/4 micro lens on D3s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JIM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Strange bug
OnTERRYo Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
DerekTV85
30th Aug 2012
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
30th Aug 2012
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
30th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
30th Aug 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 30-Aug-12 01:50 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 30-Aug-12 02:16 AM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Jim.
This may help:
-Google
-Google Images
-search 'White Caterpillar'
-page one, look at the third row, third from right.
It sure looks like yours.
Then again at the beginning of page three.
This image was courtesy of
OZWILDLIFESTUDIO.COM.
Hope this helps.
I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep now after looking at all the bugs.
Terry

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 02:11 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Alien larva? IDK, but nice shots

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 02:45 AM
4434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 30-Aug-12 02:49 AM by jgould2

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Derek.

They sure look alien to m

Thanks for commenting. See below for the ID.

JIM

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 02:42 AM
#3. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Terry.

Thanks so much for the links. Although the OZWILDLIFESTUDIO site gave erroneous information, it did lead me to a site that identified the bug. It is a 'mealybug destroyer' which is a member of the ladybug family. My bugs were the larval stage of the 'mealybug destroyer' and it preys on mealybugs and aphids and scale as does the adult stage. The adult stage is seldom spotted as it is very small (much smaller than a typical ladybug) and dark brown with tan head and posterior.

So these are very beneficial bugs. Now, I'll just have to spread them around all my plants.

JIM

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 30-Aug-12 07:13 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

I have only seen them once,
It was 1985 and they were all over a Norfolk island pine tree,
To this day never knew what they were, in fact, did not realize they were bugs until we got real close,
Regards,
Gary

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 04:32 PM
#6. "RE: Strange bug"
In response to Reply # 5

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Gary.

Thanks for sharing your experience. They do look like some sort of mold or something from a distance.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49225 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.