Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49219
View in linear mode

Subject: "More Wasps" Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 29-Aug-12 03:08 PM
3778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More Wasps"

Simsbury, US

I went back to the meadow where I found the wasp nest with its swarm of wasps. I found it again and was going to shoot it again (different day, different image) but there was one female wasp that wouldn't stop moving, so I wasn't able to get much of anything. About 20 ft. away I found another swarm, (same species Northern Paper Wasp) only this one was on a milkweed seed pod that had opened. No nest that I could see, just the pod. These were still enough that I was able to shoot 5 frames for a stack on this one.

Then a few more feet away I found this single Northern Paper Wasp who was apparently an independent and didn't caucus with either group.

Any way I tried 2 different crops of this second group and I'd be interested to hear which you prefer and which swarm you prefer. I'm posting the first one again so you won't have to toggle between the two posts.

So what's your ranking of the 3 swarm shots?

D800, 300f/4 w/ tubes. tripod

John

1. Nest

2. Pod1

3. Pod2

4. Loner with a dew drop tiara

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: More Wasps
hoverman Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
hoverman Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
hoverman Silver Member
31st Aug 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
31st Aug 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
05th Sep 2012
lastdaylight Gold Member
01st Sep 2012
hoverman Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
01st Sep 2012
Reilly M
03rd Sep 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
04th Sep 2012
nikocarol Silver Member
04th Sep 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
05th Sep 2012

hoverman Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2012Wed 29-Aug-12 09:34 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Oddly enough, one two three!
Number one would look great about two feet square.
Cheers
Max
p.s. fantastic pics!

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 01:46 PM
3778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 1

Simsbury, US

Thanks Max. Appreciate the feedback.

John

hoverman Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2012Thu 30-Aug-12 02:12 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

John, I'm absolutely intrigued by your pics; are these common in your part of the world? They'd be a next to a miracle in the UK. Does it not make walking in these fields a little hairy?!
Max

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 30-Aug-12 05:43 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

Spectaculer shots! They are all great however the sky reflection on the leaf in the first one detracts somewhat so I prefer the other two better. (Would a polarizer change this?). The last one of the lone critter is excellent! Peter

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 06:57 PM
#6. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 4

Simsbury, US

>Spectaculer shots! They are all great however the sky
>reflection on the leaf in the first one detracts somewhat so I
>prefer the other two better. (Would a polarizer change
>this?). The last one of the lone critter is excellent!

Thanks very much for the comments and feedback Peter.

I did tone down the reflection off the leaf in pp in the first one but it still is a bit bright. I did have a polarizer with me but I was at 1/6s shutter speed so somewhat constrained by conditions. I also could have used something to shade it from the sky but I was about 4 ft away so would have had to set it up and I was running out of time. They were beginning to stir and the sun was coming over the trees.

John

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 06:48 PM
#5. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 3

Simsbury, US

>John, I'm absolutely intrigued by your pics; are these common
>in your part of the world? They'd be a next to a miracle in
>the UK. Does it not make walking in these fields a little
>hairy?!

Hi Max,

Yes wasps and hornets pretty common around here. I have images of several different wasp and hornet species. These are Northern Paper Wasps which are one of the most common. I wouldn't want to disturb a nest. It might result in several of them coming after you. But individuals going about their business usually ignore you unless you disturb or threaten them, like pushing aside a plant that one of them happens to be on.

Some species like White Faced Hornets are more aggressive and the stings are particularly nasty. I don't have any images of them and I'd be very careful in trying to get one.

They swarm like this at night and if the temperature is cool enough it takes them a while to become active, so if you keep your distance it's not usually a problem.

John

hoverman Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 11:45 AM
#7. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

It sounds like an exciting game John! The swarming at night is something new to me, so is what you're saying that they sleep during the day? We only have one species of Hornet in the UK, and contrary to popular myth they are no bother, unless you disturb or attack them. Same as our common wasp; perfectly OK if you leave them alone.
Fascinating stuff John - thank you.
Max

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 31-Aug-12 12:08 PM
#8. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 7

Simsbury, US

>It sounds like an exciting game John! The swarming at night
>is something new to me, so is what you're saying that they
>sleep during the day?

Actually no. They're active during the day but return to the nest at night, at least a lot of them do. They also return to the nest periodically during the day. You can find single wasps in early morning, like the single one above. I don't know why some return and some don't. I also don't know why or how they find a meeting place that's not the nest, like the milkweed seed pod above. I was out in the same meadow yesterday and found another group in the same general area gathered on a milkweed leaf. Photo attached.

I have had these nests in my attic roof vent. When I would paint my house I would go into my attic at night and spray wasp and hornet killer on the nest through the screen on the attic vent. I did not want to be on a ladder 25 ft off the ground with a paint bucket and encounter angry wasps protecting the nest.

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 05-Sep-12 01:57 AM
3088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 8

McEwen, US

Wonderful work on all of these.... but it makes me want to double-check the location of my Epi-pen! And that's a tribute to your great images!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sat 01-Sep-12 02:35 AM
812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Great work all around, John. I just love the "piles of wasps."

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

hoverman Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 11:05 AM
#10. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Absolutely fascinating John, many thanks for the extra info. And I do sympathise with you about the ladder situation!
Cheers
Max

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sat 01-Sep-12 11:11 AM
#11. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 9

Simsbury, US

>Great work all around, John. I just love the "piles of
>wasps."

Thanks Mark.

It is interesting the way they pile onto each other.

John

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Mon 03-Sep-12 05:30 AM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 0

Monrovia, US

I like #2 although #1 has much to admire also. #3 is quite fabulous, too.

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 04-Sep-12 01:43 AM
#13. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 12

Simsbury, US

>I like #2 although #1 has much to admire also. #3 is quite
>fabulous, too.

Thanks Reilly. Glad you liked them.

John

nikocarol Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2010Tue 04-Sep-12 03:45 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

Awesome work here John! #3/4 my favorites with the details so right on. Well done!
Carol

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 12:02 PM
#16. "RE: More Wasps"
In response to Reply # 14

Simsbury, US

>Awesome work here John! #3/4 my favorites with the details so
>right on. Well done!
>Carol

Thanks very much Carol. Much appreciated.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49219 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.