Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49189
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus stacking using a focusing rail?" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 27-Aug-12 03:02 PM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus stacking using a focusing rail?"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
Seriously thinking about purchasing a focusing rail for focus stacking,
Using the graduations engraved on the rail, do you only focus once and move the rail for the next and sequential stacks? Or do you have to focus every stack?
Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 27-Aug-12 04:00 PM
4448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus stacking using a focusing rail?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Gary,Don(domer2760)gave an excellent explanation not long ago,if you can find it in the archives.Basically,focus on near end and then using the rail move it so the far end is in focus and calculate the number of slices you will need for the f-stop you are using to cover that given distance.I tried a cheap rail once and was more frustrated with it than anything else but I believe a good rail will get good results.

Rick

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 01:39 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus stacking using a focusing rail?"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Tks Rick,
That makes sense, I'm thinking of getting a RRS rail
Regards,
Gary

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 27-Aug-12 11:26 PM
3937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus stacking using a focusing rail?"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Hi Gary,

If you use a rail you focus at one extreme (near or far) and then move the rail to another plane of focus within the range of the stack. Repeat until the end of the range is reached. You don't change focus as you move through the range.

When it's done without using a rail, you start the same way by focusing at one extreme then move to another plane of focus by refocusing the lens. The camera position remains fixed.

John

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 01:44 AM
#4. "RE: Focus stacking using a focusing rail?"
In response to Reply # 2

South Australia, AU

Thank you John,
I had a feeling that would be the best option,
I would like the x + y option from RRS but the single rail will have to do, their duel rail is way over priced

I have their ball and mono heads which I think is value for money, but the macro is somewhat pricey
Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49189 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.