Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49047
View in linear mode

Subject: "Macro with a long lens" Previous topic | Next topic
AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 11:34 AM
2362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro with a long lens"

Hectorspruit, ZA

I have been toying with the idea to use a 150-500mm Sigma as a macro by using an extension tube. Before buying a set I used a 2x-tele converter without the lens (tube only). I am amazed and puzzled by the results.
All the pictures were hand held. The long lens seem to me a option with insects that are camera shy. I tripod will of course made higher f-stops possible

1. at 500mm I could focus (manual) from about 1-meter to about three meters (this is more than the minimum focus distance with lens only).
1/320 f13 ISO-400 500(150-500)

2. At 150 mm however, I had at most 20cm focus distance I could therefore only use macro
1/320 f13 ISO-400 170(150-500)

3. 1/800 f7.1 300(150-500)

4. Crop No 3

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Macro with a long lens
glxman Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
blw Moderator
20th Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
21st Aug 2012

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 11:52 AM
2982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 18-Aug-12 11:53 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Nice capture Aart,
Nothing wrong with a tele lens,
I think the best economical option is extension tubes allowing you to focus at closer distances,
I do think the best option is a macro but prime lenses do work well with tubes, I don't know if the tubes work with a zoom though?

jtmcg, (John), is the expert here
Regards,
Gary

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 01:34 PM
1558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

> I don't know if the tubes work with a zoom
>though?
>

Yes they do, but zooming affects focus far more than FOV.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 19-Aug-12 02:04 PM
3258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The shorter the focal length, the greater the effect of extension. Therefore, at the short end of your zoom, the extension you used would produce more magnification than at the longer end of your zoom. A 50mm lens needs only 50mm of extension (built-in plus added) to get to 1:1 magnification. A 200mm lens needs 200mm of extension.

Alan

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sun 19-Aug-12 04:13 PM
2362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Hectorspruit, ZA

Thanks to all,
"The shorter the focal length, the greater the effect..."
Make sense.
The zoom works more like a "focus" device. At say 2-meter from the subject one can use the the "zoom" for focusing without changing the magnification. If one zoom out too much, one can not focus. To summarize, if you zoom in to maximum you can change the size by moving the camera. If you zoom out to maximum you can only focus very close to the subject getting about the same magnification as with the maximum zoom.
1/640 f10 500(150-500) with 50mm (2") extension tube

Aart

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 19-Aug-12 04:50 PM
3258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 19-Aug-12 05:25 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

"The zoom works more like a "focus" device. At say 2-meter from the subject one can use the the "zoom" for focusing without changing the magnification. If one zoom out too much, one can not focus. To summarize, if you zoom in to maximum you can change the size by moving the camera. If you zoom out to maximum you can only focus very close to the subject getting about the same magnification as with the maximum zoom. "

Kind of, but not really, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Magnification is really only about focusing closer with any lens. Adding extension allows closer focusing hence more magnification. With extension on your zoom, you can focus closer and get more magnification at the short end versus the long end.

Actually, diopter (close-up) lenses are easier to use with zooms, as the subject stays in focus as you zoom in or out and only the magnification changes. Not sure what the filter thread size is on your zoom, but Canon's 500D diopter lens comes in several thread sizes.

Alan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 20-Aug-12 10:07 AM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

I grok what he's saying - in practice that's pretty much the case.

I have to say that I was stunned at how sharp these are given a 2x TC - but then I realized that the optics were removed, so in fact this isn't being shot with a TC. These are, in effect, shot with an extension tube that has oddball EXIF modifiers (I like it!)

The 150-500 HSM OS uses 86mm filters, which are much larger than any known two-element closeup lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 20-Aug-12 12:28 PM
#7. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Nevis, US

"The 150-500 HSM OS uses 86mm filters, which are much larger than any known two-element closeup lens."

I guess so!

Alan

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 21-Aug-12 07:16 AM
#8. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hello Alan,
I am also surprised with the result. Referring to the picture on my previous post, I used f7.1, resulting in a small DOF. I noticed that when I changed the zoom, there was no noticeable change in the magnification but the focus field changed. When I zoomed out until every thing was out of focus, the focus-ring reacted but could not bring the picture in focus. When I zoom out to 150mm, I could not focus on the specific object at all. On the coming weekend I will table the results at 150mm, 300mm and 500mm with the same extension tube.

Aart

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 21-Aug-12 04:49 PM
#9. "RE: Macro with a long lens"
In response to Reply # 8

Nevis, US

The will be a "range" of distance on which you can focus depending upon the focal length. At the short end the range will be much closer than at the long end, and the magnification will vary depending upon that (distance and focal length). There may be some discrepancy because many lens change focal length (shorten) as you focus closer.

Alan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49047 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.