Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49029
View in linear mode

Subject: "Marigold" Previous topic | Next topic
ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Fri 17-Aug-12 10:45 PM
554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Marigold"

Katonah, US

I shot this Marigold with my Nikon D200 and Nikon 60mm g macro lens.

Let me know how you like the photo.

Thanks

Al

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Marigold
coolmom42 Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
23rd Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
SheriB Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
24th Aug 2012

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 01:32 AM
3046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

It is technically very good. But some softer lighting would let you get rid of the harsh shadows. Try it in shade, or closer to twilight.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 09:11 AM
554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 1

Katonah, US

I wanted to use side lighting to show off the texture of the flower. I think I succeeded on that point.

Would side light close to twilight have been better for the effect I was going after?

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 03:33 AM
2984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Looks Good to me Al,
I would most probably crop a bit tighter and sneak the exposure back a touch and perhaps a bit more sharpening,
If you shot that hand held, you did better than me, I just can't hold steady any more,
Chronological thing I guess
Regards,
Gary

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 09:15 AM
#4. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 2

Katonah, US

I shot it hand held. I keep my D200 on iso 400. The D200 has low noise characteristics at that iso.

Not sure what you mean by sneak the exposure back/ Can I do that in photoshop?

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 11:10 AM
2984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 4

South Australia, AU

>Not sure what you mean by sneak the exposure back/ Can I do
>that in photoshop?
I just suggested that due to your profile stating you shoot RAW,
I was suggesting that the image looks to be a bit over exposed on my monitor,
I know I can adjust exposure up to 2 stops with Capture NX2 but not sure about Photoshop or Lightroom?
Regards,
Gary

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 11:21 AM
#8. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 7

Katonah, US

Interesting that it looks over exposed on your monitor. The image exposure looks spot on my iMac screen. I use x-rite color munki to calibrate my iMac display.

I wonder if it is some interaction with the iMac and the x-rite software.

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 09:42 AM
2367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Nice shot but yellow's are extremely difficult to handle. In this case it has been blown out completely. Checking the histogram on a copy of the picture the yellows and orange are not completely burned out but close to it. I am not sure how to handle it, maybe one of our boffin's can help us

Aart

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 09:50 AM
#6. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 5

Katonah, US

You have a good eye. The histogram was bunched up on the left hand side and the right hand side.

The flower was orange or orange yellow not true yellow. The Nikon software/hardware did an excellent job with the exposure.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 23-Aug-12 10:49 PM
4585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

I believe if the light was a little softer this would work better. It seems a bit harsh to my eye. You might be able to adjust it post processing, but agree with the comment of Aart that yellow is hard to keep from looking harsh sometimes. I have similar issues with Red in some light. Nice flower and composition, nonetheless.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Thu 23-Aug-12 10:59 PM
#10. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 9

Katonah, US

Thanks.

That day was a de-stress photography session day. Sort of spur of moment I decided to do some shooting about 4 pm to 5 pm.

I like side light for the texturing. Would later in the day or earlier have made the side light less harsh.

Al

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 24-Aug-12 12:54 PM
1697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Me thinks this is actually a coreopsis...not a marigold.. does it stand on a slim stem and wave in the wind? ( yeah I know you want critique on your photography not your botany )

Sheri Becker

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Fri 24-Aug-12 08:02 PM
#12. "RE: Marigold"
In response to Reply # 11

Katonah, US

Yes it stand on a thin stem.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #49029 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.