nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #2
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Macro Section" Previous topic | Next topic
Gerth   East Haven, US  Registered since 12th Apr 2002 Tue 22-May-01 03:23 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Macro Section"

Fantastic!!!!! This is great. I guess I will kick off this section with a question. Can you use close up lenses on a Macro lens? Such as putting a +4 on a Nikon 105mm macro lens. Does anyone know how much this would degrade image quality if any?
Paul

Through Perseverance Comes Perfection

PAUL K.(The Connecticut Nikonian)
Through Perseverance Comes Perfection.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jnscbl   US  Basic Member Tue 22-May-01 05:18 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Macro Section"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON May-22-01 AT 06:22 PM (GMT)

Closeup lenses and extension tubes don't really magnify, they shift the focusing range of the lens. The 105mm Micro already focuses down to a mere several inches between the lens front and the subject, at the closest focus setting. A close-up lens just gets you a few cm. closer, and a few mm. increase in subject size. Same with the tube. (I just tried a 3T and 20mm tube) To get extra magnification with the 105, use a teleconverter. Even a conservative 1.5x increases the subject size by 50%; a 2x doubles the size. The difference in quality in an 8x10, if focused and exposed properly, will be unimportant(a bit grainy), if the subject is interesting enough. The Nikon 2 element closeup lenses wouldn't affect the quality, at least in the center, if the primary lens is stopped down. ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #2 Previous topic | Next topic