Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #179
View in linear mode

Subject: "Homemade, handheld reflector?" Previous topic | Next topic
va3rrr Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 12:23 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Homemade, handheld reflector?"

Northern, CA

Hello,

I have been playing around with macro photography this fall and have determined that a handheld reflector is pritty much a must in this work for natural looking exposures in harsh lighting using flash. I'm thinking of using a 6x6 inch board like cardboard, panelling, ect. wrapped with alumminum foil, this would I assume, give me a natural daylight effect from my sb28? I'm guessing 6x6 inches would be big enough since my working distance is no greater than two feet, plus easy to hold. Any input from experienced people who have experimented with reflectors would be appreciated.
Thanks,

RY

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Ed Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 03:42 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Homemade, handheld reflector?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've done the exact same thing shooting flowers. A stiff board with aluminum foil wrapped around it makes a great macro reflector. Just last weekend I burned 2 rolls of Provia 100F shooting some dahlias with this reflector lying on the ground to bounce some sunlight back under the flower for some nice back-lit effects. Another thing I did was, since the sunlight was so harsh for what I wanted, I put up a white T-shirt (the only thing I had at the time) stuck up on sticks to diffuse the light.

Another type of reflector I have are foam-core boards I bought at Staples. They're bright white on one side and can be cut easily into small pieces of varying sizes.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 01:17 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Homemade, handheld reflector?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Ry,

If you make a reflector, make one with wrinkled silver alumimium foil glued to one side, and golden aluminium foil on the other side. The golden one gives a warmer tone. Be carefull, I've ruined many shots because the reflector fell on the fragile mushrooms or flowers.

Good luck,
Photophil
http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #179 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.