Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #17
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help needed on close up pictures on photographs" Previous topic | Next topic
boonwei Basic MemberFri 01-Jun-01 08:17 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"

Help needed on close up pictures on photographs.i'm working in a photo printing shop and some customers who lost their negatives wish to get another print of the photo.i tried to take a shoot of the photo using a 50mm1.8 lens fixed on a tripod but cannot get the whole frame to be filled up.i heard of close up filters and other close up attachments,any reccomendation on which to use ?most of the photos the customers gave me are in 3R,4R,5R and passport sizes photos.Thanks in advance.. live life as colorful as slides..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs
Gerth
01st Jun 2001
photobri
01st Jun 2001
jnscbl
01st Jun 2001
photobri
01st Jun 2001
Johnny
01st Jun 2001
Ed
04th Jun 2001

Gerth Registered since 12th Apr 2002Fri 01-Jun-01 10:07 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

East Haven, US

Maybe I am a little slow but would'nt a film scanner work better? I have scanned many prints of various sizes and made prints from them with great success.
Paul
Through Perseverance Comes Perfection

PAUL K.(The Connecticut Nikonian)
Through Perseverance Comes Perfection.

photobri Basic MemberFri 01-Jun-01 01:01 PM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

A photo scanner would be the way to go. If the customer wanted to have another negative, try renting a 60mm AFD Micro or a 105mm AFD micro....

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 01-Jun-01 01:54 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'm intrigued; how do you get from scan to photographic print?---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

photobri Basic MemberFri 01-Jun-01 02:51 PM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Save to digital file and print on photographic paper.....

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Johnny Basic MemberFri 01-Jun-01 11:45 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 4

Westampton, US

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-01 AT 01:48 AM (GMT)

If you are at work, your printing machines might be able to print digital scans.

If you are at home, you can print them on your home printer or upload it to an online photo print service (Ofoto, shutterfly, dotphoto, etc) and have them print it for you.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Ed Basic MemberMon 04-Jun-01 02:10 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help needed on close up pictures on photographs"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you're not scanning the prints, here's a few tips on taking a photo of a print:

(1) for best results, use (rent or borrow) a macro lens (Nikon calls them "micro"). These lenses have been corrected for close-focusing work. I believe the 60mm AF-micro has been touted as very good for flat-field work (very sharp from corner-to-center-to-corner).
(2) Ensure that film is perfectly aligned with the print. At close-focusing distances, DOF is very shallow, any deviation from the focus point will cause out-of-focus areas. Stop down as much as you can.
(3) As corollary to #2, print will tend to curl so some areas may go out of your chosen DOF. Placing a clean piece of glass over the print so it remains flat sometimes help.
(4) If you use flash, use 2 on either side angled down about 30 to 45 degrees off the horizontal. A flashmeter can help ensure even exposure. With flash, there's no way to see the effects of glare. A polarizer won't help because you won't know how much to turn it for best results. All you can do is press the shutter and hope for the best.
(5) Without flashes, use natural light, i.e. take your setup outside. A bright cloudy day is best. The clouds act as a huge softbox diffusing the sunlight, making it pleasing and directionless. This time, you can use a polarizer to minimize any glare. Take care your own shadow does not appear in the viewfinder.
(6) Note that your copy will appear contrastier than the original. To reduce these effects, use colour-accurate and low-contrast films like Fuji NPS or NPH. Never use Royal Gold or Fuji Superia, which are very contrasty and saturated (IMO).

Hope these help.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #17 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.