Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #158
View in linear mode

Subject: "special light" Previous topic | Next topic
paulojolkesky Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 05:08 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"special light"

BR

Hi all,

How do I proceed to take a macro photo of a flower or a person's
face with the effect of a complete black background, seeming
that the subject is floating in space? Some of you have flower
photos in the galery using this feature.
I have an FM3a and I am brand new into Nikon world.

Thanks,
Paulo Jolkesky

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Boogaloo Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 07:02 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: special light"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, the simplest way I can think of to accomplish this would be to just use a black background. Something like a black curtain or a piece of black velvet maybe? If this isn't available, then you could try a small aperture/fast shutter speed while using a flash for the key light. Keep the subject far away from the background. I know that you can make it look like nighttime in broad daylight by adjusting ambient exposure down and flash exposure up to compensate. Another technique might be to strongly burn in the background when making the print. I don't know if any of this helps.

Joseph D. Cook
Nampa, Idaho, USA
My profile

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 11-Oct-01 03:25 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: special light"
In response to Reply # 0

US

That effect is simply from stopping the lens down for extra DOF, which eliminates ambient light. The flash provides the only light. Make sure your camera is not set to SLOW synch mode. If you don't have the proper focal length lens to fill the frame with the subject, you risk TTL flash overexposure.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jjussi Basic MemberThu 11-Oct-01 10:36 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: special light"
In response to Reply # 2

KLAUKKALA, FI

>If you don't
>have the proper focal length
>lens to fill the frame
>with the subject, you risk
>TTL flash overexposure.

Spot metering rules!

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Douglas Thu 11-Oct-01 08:16 AM

#3. "RE: special light"
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to the wonderful world of NIKON. With the right settings you can have black backgrounds just about any time. Personally I like the black velvet idea but when you're doing closeup nature stuff, that's kinda hard.
What type of flash are you using. perhaps someone here can help you with the proper settings.
...and as always...bracket, bracket, bracket....and write down what you did.
Enjoy

Douglas

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #158 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.