nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #131
View in linear mode

Subject: "first shot w/ reversed 24mm" Previous topic | Next topic
photobri Basic MemberSat 11-Aug-01 02:52 PM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"first shot w/ reversed 24mm"

Phoenix, US

Here you go. This was fun and challenging. I did not use a tripod as the working distance is almost non-existant. This is the engraving on the inside of an antique wedding ring.
http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=318824&size=md

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm
jnscbl
11th Aug 2001
JM
12th Aug 2001
photobri
12th Aug 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
12th Aug 2001
Merlin
13th Aug 2001

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 11-Aug-01 07:18 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

That two-angle lighting is fantastic.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

JM Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Sun 12-Aug-01 02:48 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Your a steadier man than I Gunga Din!!!
First if your tripod allows the center column to be revesrsed it and a chair that raises and lowers could be a cheap and easy stand for work that doesn't need the precision perpendicularity of copy work.
Have you tried other than 24mm? Does this stretch the working distance?
Oh, that is quite an engraving job well illustrated, I would love to see the complete ensciption just to see the detail of an artisians work.
Jeff Markus

JM
The Chicagoan

photobri Basic MemberSun 12-Aug-01 11:23 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thanks Scott & Jeff.
Scott, I used a reflector and the sun. I placed the ring on a bench under my front porch.
Jeff, thats a pretty creative idea for a copy stand.
Yes - to play around, I tried the 24, 28 & 50. The 50 was great with the 1.4 apperture. It let you focus, then stop down much easier than the others, but no where near the same magnification. The 28 was good when the 24 was too close to get enough of the subect in the frame.
I will try to take another to get more of the enscription. Probably with the 105...

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 12-Aug-01 02:28 PM
35264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Brian:
Indeed great shot. And yes, a very steady hand. I can appreciate it very much since my hand now seems that of a maraca player in a samba group.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Merlin Basic MemberMon 13-Aug-01 12:48 PM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: first shot w/ reversed 24mm"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-01 AT 01:50 PM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-01 AT 01:49 PM (GMT)

Brian,

Terrific shot - if you're able to hand hold at that magnification you can safely sell off all your tripods - you'll never need them again! Remind me never to challange you to an arm wrestling contest... super illumination, too!

I tried something like this years ago by reversing my Olympus fifty, but I had to tape the diapragm actuator down - a major pain. At least with Nikon the aperture stays closed to the f-stop when a lens isn't mounted.

Mike

http://www.geocities.com/heidoscop/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #131 Previous topic | Next topic