Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #124
View in linear mode

Subject: "What aperture should be used for most DOF??" Previous topic | Next topic
Seb Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 11:53 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What aperture should be used for most DOF??"

Chicago, US

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-01 AT 01:54 PM (GMT)

I have a Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro that I use with my N80. I was wondering which aperture would give me the best DOF? Should I stop all the way down? Or should I shoot at something like f16 or f22? I understand that images tend to get less sharp at the smallest apertures, that's why this question came up in my head.

Thanks in advance!

-Seb

-Seb
http://www.crescentmooncreative.com/images/cmc-logo-black-bg-small_03.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??
jnscbl
10th Aug 2001
TD
10th Aug 2001
Reply message Thanks guys
Seb
10th Aug 2001
Ed
11th Aug 2001
org
18th Sep 2001
jnscbl
18th Sep 2001

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 01:45 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't mean for this to sound sarcastic; I realize the obvious isn't always obvious. The only way to know the answer to a question like this is to shoot a test roll of film and see for yourself. There are many opinions (I stress the word "opinion") about how to shoot a test, but my suggestion is to shoot what you normally shoot, and just bracket and keep notes for each frame. For half a dozen tests, you can just finish a current roll of film out. My experience testing lenses is that very small apertures do indeed degrade sharpness somewhat, but in closeups this may be less important than DOF. That's why you need to test your own lens for your own style.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

TD Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 02:03 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??"
In response to Reply # 0

Everett, US

As Scott said, experience and testing will let you choose the best aperture for a given situation. When I'm doing macro photography, I use f/8 as my default aperture for maximum sharpness. If I need additional depth of field, I have no qualms about stopping down further as necessary. I try to avoid routinely stopping down to very small apertures but there are times you just have to. My experience is that the effect of diffraction at small apertures becomes more pronounced at higher magnifications.

Tad

Seb Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 04:04 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Thanks guys"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I'll run a couple rolls through it, see what happens. I appreciate your time!

-Seb

-Seb
http://www.crescentmooncreative.com/images/cmc-logo-black-bg-small_03.gif

Ed Basic MemberSat 11-Aug-01 01:12 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Does the N80 have DOF preview? If it does, use it! Before actually taking the shot and seeing the slide, this is the best way to see the effect of your DOF. Some people find it hard to peer into the darkened viewfinder. I do too sometimes. Here's a little tip. Put a jacket or cloth over your head (just like the olden days of photography). The darkness around the viewfinder will make the image pop out. If I don't have a jacket or cloth, I just use my hands to cut out extraneous light. If you have a rubber eyecup, that would be a big help too. DOF preview is the way I choose my aperture when shooting macro. And don't be afraid to use at f/16 and f/22 specially at 1:1 lifesize. I have with excellent results. You'd never know until you try. Good luck.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

org Basic MemberTue 18-Sep-01 09:00 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??"
In response to Reply # 0

I have tried using shooting dragonflies at 1:1 and at an aperture of f22. Could someone pls explain what the effects of diffraction 'look' like?

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 18-Sep-01 11:21 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What aperture should be used for most DOF??"
In response to Reply # 5

US

If you shoot a lens test, in other words, a fixed subject at every aperture, you will see the sharpness improve from the widest aperture to somewhere around a couple of stops down for a prime, or a little further for some zooms; then the image begins to soften again as you stop down to ever smaller apertures. Diffraction is not something you see, it's just the explanation for why the image is softer at the smallest aperture, often the softest of all apertures.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #124 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.