Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #114
View in linear mode

Subject: "What equipment do I need for macro work?" Previous topic | Next topic
DavidC Basic MemberMon 06-Aug-01 02:33 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What equipment do I need for macro work?"

What would be considered essential equipment for macro work other than the camera? . Alonq with equipment please provide
suggestions and/or reccomendations. Below is a list I would like info on and of course anything I might have forgotten.

Tripods
Flashes
Bellows (only if they work with N80)
Extension Rings (only if they work with N80)
Film
Books
Other little tricks of the trade that you have picked up.

Thanks for your help
David

Take a chance it may be the only one you get

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?
TD
06th Aug 2001
photobri
07th Aug 2001
jnscbl
07th Aug 2001
TD
07th Aug 2001
Ed
08th Aug 2001
DavidC
08th Aug 2001
jnscbl
08th Aug 2001
TD
08th Aug 2001
avm247 Moderator
08th Aug 2001

TD Basic MemberMon 06-Aug-01 07:54 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 0

Everett, US

You have asked a pretty open ended question. The equipment you'll need will be very dependent on the subjects you are photographing, the amount of magnification you will need, the lighting you prefer, and last but certainly not least, your budget.

A sturdy tripod is a must. I recently purchased a new Bogen 3221WN, and I would highly recommend it. The Bogen 3021 is a bit cheaper and is a very popular model. For me, the only downside to these tripods are their weight - they are a bit heavy if you plan to go hiking with them.

Since you are using an N-80, you will be limited if you plan on using a bellows or extension tubes since the N-80 won't meter with them. My recommendation is that you get a good macro lens and then add other accessories as you need them. A Nikon 60mm or 105mm micro lens will get you to 1:1 without additional accessories. You might want to pick up a used manual focus body to gain metering capability if you find that you need to use extension rings or bellows to get additional magnification.

Perhaps Scott or someone else on the board can recommend a good flash setup since I typically use tungsten lighting for my macro photography. Scott's ringlight setup looks pretty nice and would be a relatively inexpensive way to get into closeup photography.

Tad

photobri Basic MemberTue 07-Aug-01 10:40 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

With your N80 - I'd at least start with a nice inexpensive AF Micro Nikkor that can go 1:1 by itself like TD mentioned... You can find some for around $200.00 in great shape.
This can open your door to macro work, if flowers are something you were thinking about... Move up to tripods and additional lighting later...

These were taken with my N80, Micro 55 2.8 AF (for sale!) and the pop up flash (sunflwrs). The N80's pop up flash works quite nice for this type of work...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=87559&size=md
http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=88079&size=md
Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 07-Aug-01 11:43 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-01 AT 05:08 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-01 AT 01:53 PM (GMT)

Actually Tad, the Kenko AF extension tubes maintain metering. I don't have any experience with bellows, though.

I don't know what your financial situation is Dave, but I always start with the least expensive path to quality results, although this sometimes requires a little more intervention from the user. After looking at your profile, I would recommend a good 2x converter, a 7 element design, which is usually around 100USD, I think, and hook it up to your 70-300 in macro mode. (The converter also can be used for telephoto use, which extends its usefulness. Stick to f8-f16 for sharpness though.) Use Aperture priority, f16. Of course, you will need to use flash.

If you don't already have a flash, consider an all purpose unit and an SC-17 cord. (Again, you get more usefulness across the board.) I don't know what the closest focus distance of your lens is, but if it's at least a foot or so you can use the flash in the hotshoe, or even the built in flash if the film speed allows it. Remember, f16 with a 2x converter requires the same light as f32 without a converter. The off-camera cord allows you to hold the flash in one hand and move it around for the most effective, or creative, angle.

If money is no object, or macro is your only interest, definitely go with a macro lens. ---scott

http://home1.nikonnet.com/sessions/3241616106/1115888lg.jpg
Wood Sorrel; N60, 105mm Micro, SB24 held above and behind the flower.

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

TD Basic MemberTue 07-Aug-01 08:59 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 3

Everett, US

Thanks Scott, it's nice to know that the Kenko AF extension tubes will maintain metering with the N-80. Too bad Nikon still hasn't made their own AF tubes. Have you had any compatibility problems with the Kenkos? My brother used Vivitar manual extension tubes and had occasional trouble getting the linkage between the tube and his lens to actuate when he tried to take a picture.

Tad

Ed Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-01 02:10 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would add a cable release (mechanical or electronic, that would work on your camera body). Working near life-size in available light (not flash situations) most often than not would bring down your shutter speeds. Macro images are magnified images and this magnifies vibration from all sources considerably, even fingertip tremors. A cable release is essential, in my opinion.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DavidC Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-01 02:32 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the info so far please keep it coming.

Tad,
What type of head would you reccomend for the tripod?

Take a chance it may be the only one you get

jnscbl Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-01 03:15 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

The Kenko X-tubes work fine. I've also used them on my FM2. No problemo. ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

TD Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-01 06:57 PM
#9. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 6

Everett, US

I have the Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head on my tripod. Relatively inexpensive, and I like it. If you prefer a ball head, look at the Bogen 3038. If you prefer a ball head and have lots of money, look at the Arca B1 or the Kirk. Look at these threads over in the tripod forum for some additional info:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID15/42.html#
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID15/28.html#

Tad

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-01 02:50 PM
18536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What equipment do I need for macro work?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-01 AT 05:07 PM (GMT)

Not too long ago I received my macro focusing rails (Velbon) and find it to be handy device. Purchased at B&H for like $90 US.

Have you looked at a lens reversing ring? (BR-2a) On an N70, it allows stop down metering, but it won't meter with an N80 - sorry.

What about close up lenses?

Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.