nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #101
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)" Previous topic | Next topic
jnscbl   US  Basic Member Thu 02-Aug-01 10:17 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"

http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/com.arcsoft.LoginNew?com=arcsoftBanner&awp=index3.html&DIRECT=&USERNAME=veloceles&PASSWORD=nikoneditor_-550113234&WHO=memberguest

I recently bought this new flash from B&H for about 110.00USD. I tested it with my N80 and 105mm AF f2.8D and Gold 100. I have posted four shots from the PictureCD (unenhanced) to NikonNet. The first image will have a caption, but no description. Just click anywhere on the image itself, and this will give you a view with the caption AND description. Isn't this silly? I hate NikonNet, but what else is there? (Is it the third quarter yet?)

This little flash is very lightweight. The power module fits in the hotshoe, and the flash module screws to the filter ring of the lens. The two modules are connected by a coiled cord. The power module has an ON/OFF switch, a ready light, and no other controls. Flash compensation can be controlled by the camera. I use spot metering, and try to position a sensor on the lightest part of the subject, so as to avoid "hot spots". If you are looking for a macro flash, but don't want to spend the megabucks for a new SB29, this will do just fine.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
03rd Aug 2001
Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) jnscbl
03rd Aug 2001
     Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
03rd Aug 2001
          Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) DavidC
03rd Aug 2001
               Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) jnscbl
03rd Aug 2001
Reply message RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight) TD
06th Aug 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Fri 03-Aug-01 02:30 AM
35658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 0

Indeed a very good purchase for US$110, as against the alternative Sunpak DX-12R TTL Macro Ringlight Flash for US$230 or the US$355 for the SB-29 (imported).
The Vivitar 6000AF Macro Flash includes 49, 52, 55 & 58mm adapter rings. The SB-29 has 52, 62 & 72mm adapters.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl   US  Basic Member Fri 03-Aug-01 03:48 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 1

I left out one major detail---the 6000 is dedicated TTL.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Fri 03-Aug-01 06:16 AM
35658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 2

And with a larger Guide Number!
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

DavidC     Basic Member Fri 03-Aug-01 02:45 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 3

How do you get the area behind your subject black?

Take a chance it may be the only one you get

jnscbl   US  Basic Member Fri 03-Aug-01 04:40 PM
#5. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 4

When you use a very small aperture, such as f22, in order to get greater depth of field, then the flash provides all of the illumination. At very close distances, flash light decays extremely rapidly, so backgrounds tend to go black. If the flash were not turned on, the entire image would be black from gross underexposure. As the distance to the subject increases, and the size of the subject increases, larger apertures are sufficient for adequate depth of field. Using larger apertures allows more ambient or existing light to record on the film, so the background will not be totally black.---scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

TD   Everett, US  Basic Member Mon 06-Aug-01 09:03 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Vivitar 6000AF Macro flash (Ringlight)"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice pictures, Scott. Having TTL exposure control is especially nice. I may have to break out of my tungsten lighting world and give the ringflash a try. Tad

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #101 Previous topic | Next topic