nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #78509
View in linear mode

Subject: "Death Valley: The Racetrack" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Kimberley, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002 Sat 07-Dec-13 05:59 PM
1362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Death Valley: The Racetrack"

I was up at The Racetrack Valley yesterday. I was there on a road recon with one of Law enforcement's backcountry people, so I did not have much time for photography, but I did get this shot of The Grandstand surrounded by snow and ice.

We saw Seagulls and a group of seven Mallards out in one of the wetter areas. I would guess the gulls are fine today but we were concerned about the ducks. It was very cold even at noon.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
07th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack labtrout Silver Member
07th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
07th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
08th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
14th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
15th Dec 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Sat 07-Dec-13 06:33 PM
53591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice image

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

labtrout Silver Member  Bristol, US  Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011 Sat 07-Dec-13 07:30 PM
714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 0

Really nice shot.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sat 07-Dec-13 11:15 PM
12084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never seen it like that. Nice shot. Apparently it is those conditions (plus some high winds) that make the mysterious rocks sail across the playa.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography   Marietta, US  Charter Member Sun 08-Dec-13 07:11 PM
4722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice. I'd love to be out there during the winter.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Kimberley, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002 Sat 14-Dec-13 04:25 PM
1362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you! The Racetrack in winter is often really interesting (though generally really cold and windy!). I've gotten a number of my favourite Death Valley photographs up there. We had planned to check the road over Hunter Mountain that day, but were stopped by snow at less than 5500 feet. So much for Death Valley's reputation for being too sunny and hot to visit...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sat 14-Dec-13 04:57 PM
12084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 5

Painting Death Valley with the broad brush that it is the hottest place in North America is really giving this marvelous place short shrift. Sure it's hot in the late spring and summer, but the rest of the year it is quite pleasant to downright cold. Actually, the weather is not too different from where I grew up in Laredo, Texas, a semi-arid plain of scrub, cacti, and stunted mesquite where summer temps often exceed 110° regularly in July and August. And while we only get an occasional freeze in the winter it does get chilly with the kind of cold mixed with fog and mist that just gets to your bones.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography   Lakeville, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006 Sun 15-Dec-13 10:23 PM
4575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Death Valley: The Racetrack"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice shot. I'm sure the ducks were fine. I see some stragglers up here in Minnesota when it is much colder than Death Valley ever gets.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #78509 Previous topic | Next topic