Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78441
View in linear mode

Subject: "Texas Sunset two Nights Ago" Previous topic | Next topic
jdearman Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2005Tue 03-Dec-13 05:13 PM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"

Amarillo,Texas, US

This is my first post to the Landscape forum. I shoot mostly wildlife and post there.

We had a beautiful sunset two nights ago. As usual, I was lollygagging around and missed the most colorful part. When I did notice it, I quickly grabbed my camera and got one shot before nighttime took over. I changed the shutter speed, but did not change any of the other settings on the camera. I really wanted to see what the D-600 would do under the lighting conditions. I was pleasantly surprised. In PP, I cropped the image to lower the horizon line and added slight sharpening. I like the image darker like this, but what do I know! I would sincerely appreciate some learning comments from you more knowledgeable folks.

JED

D-600 , 24-85 Nikon VR, ISO 100 , f4.5, 1/30 hand held.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Dec 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
04th Dec 2013
EYeye
06th Dec 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
06th Dec 2013
jdearman Silver Member
08th Dec 2013

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 04-Dec-13 12:46 AM
4769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Nice image. While I would tend to want to open up the foreground at times, there are other times that a silhouette view is quite nice.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Wed 04-Dec-13 04:28 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Actually, I would say you know quite a lot. The photo looks just right with the silhouetted foreground, this really is all about the sky. The tension here is exhilarating.

Martin

EYeye Registered since 16th Sep 2012Fri 06-Dec-13 02:09 AM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Texas has many beautiful sunsets (& rises). Since you are from Amarillo, you may know that when Steven Spielberg looked for the perfect sunset for Indiana Jones and his Father and friends to ride off into at the end of the "Last Crusade", he found it near Amarillo.

EYeye

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Fri 06-Dec-13 04:07 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Excellent!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

jdearman Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2005Sun 08-Dec-13 04:14 PM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Texas Sunset two Nights Ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Amarillo,Texas, US

Thanks everyone for your comments. I must have missed Spielberg's sunset. Our better sunset photo opportunities occur when a strong west wind blows the state of New Mexico our way.

Martin, I agree with you..." it is all about the sky." I am going to try to stay more diligent and catch the images earlier when more light and colors are available.

I prefer wildlife photography, mostly birds. If you are into wildlife photos, checkout my Gallery on that forum. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate your comments in that area also.

JED

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78441 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.