Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78347
View in linear mode

Subject: "Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 28-Nov-13 05:55 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"

Traverse City, US

I'm hoping to get down to Tennessee for five or six days sometime late January or early February to get out of the snow here and check out the.landscape in the southeastern part of the state. Looking for suggestions on locations and any information on what I might expect for weather. I've seen some remarkable landscape,photos from there and hope that time of year is reasonable for photography. Appreciate any suggestions and input

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee
coolmom42 Silver Member
29th Nov 2013
ken lutes Silver Member
29th Nov 2013
psf914
01st Dec 2013
psf914
01st Dec 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013
psf914
04th Dec 2013
cchoc Moderator
29th Nov 2013
psf914
01st Dec 2013

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 29-Nov-13 03:58 AM
2974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Our winter weather is highly variable but it is almost always warmer & less snowy than Michigan!

That is a mediocre time of year for landscape photography here. You are going to see a lot of bare brown trees under a lot of dull gray skies. The hills and mountains are still beautiful, but that is probably the least attractive season.

It will either be raining & overcast and in the 50 degree range, or sunny and colder. And sometimes we do get snow, frequently mixed with a nasty combo of sleet & freezing rain. The higher elevations get significantly more snow; the Smokies got 4-5 inches yesterday with no more than a dusting elsewhere.

Chattanooga weather for February is:

record high 79
average high 55
average low 34
record low 1
average precip as rain 5"

Others can advise you better on locations.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

ken lutes Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2009Fri 29-Nov-13 02:12 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 1

winchester, US

You might want to check this out if happen to be there the same time.
24th Wilderness Wildlfie Week in Pigeon Forge. January 25 - February 1. It is a week long event on hiking, wildlife, photography and more. There are seminars happening everyday all week long. They are 1-2 hours long and free. You can google it to get more information. I try to make it and hope for snow for some interesting photos. Love Caves Cove with snow. Actually a friend and I are planning on a snow photo trip to the Smokies . Just waiting on the snow in lower elevations. Hope we get lucky and it is the same time of the event.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 01-Dec-13 08:44 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Ken

I'll make a note on my planning calendar about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 01-Dec-13 08:42 PM
#4. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Diane

I forgot you were from that part of the country. Appreciate the information. This is a recon trip to see if this would be a good place to stay for several months during the winter as well as a base location for some great landscape photography. I've only been thru here for a short time years ago but remember seeing some incredible places. Im focusing on Chattanooga because of its proximity to the water and access to several good scenic locations.

Peter

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 03-Dec-13 01:31 AM
2974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 4

McEwen, US

>Thanks Diane
>
>I forgot you were from that part of the country. Appreciate
>the information. This is a recon trip to see if this would be
>a good place to stay for several months during the winter as
>well as a base location for some great landscape photography.
>I've only been thru here for a short time years ago but
>remember seeing some incredible places. Im focusing on
>Chattanooga because of its proximity to the water and access
>to several good scenic locations.
>
>Peter

Chattanooga is a GREAT location for a photographer. Much beautiful countryside and interesting cityscapes, within a short drive and even more within a 3-4 hour drive. If I weren't tied to my location by work and family, I would seriously consider moving there.

Look around for some travel guides & photography guides to Tennessee, lots of them on Amazon.

The Photographic Society of Chattanooga has a great website, that might lead you to some good locations. I'm sure some of the members would have great tips for you.

To get the most out of your trip, consider extending it at least to early spring here, which will be mid-March. The spring greens in the mountains are amazing. That will let you miss the last of winter in Michigan, too!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 04-Dec-13 09:43 PM
#8. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks again Diane

I'm spending some time on the net researching the region around Chattanooga. Lots of great places to see around there. And the weather looks ok for the winter.

Peter

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberFri 29-Nov-13 07:16 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Not landscape, but there should be sandhill cranes at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge if you have a long lens.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 01-Dec-13 08:45 PM
#6. "RE: Planning winter landscape photo trip to Tennessee"
In response to Reply # 3

Traverse City, US

Thanks Charlie,

I'll have my entire arsenal with me if I decide to head down there. Thanks for the information.

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78347 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.