Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78288
View in linear mode

Subject: "Irving St., Portland" Previous topic | Next topic
Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Tue 26-Nov-13 09:01 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Irving St., Portland"

Portland, US

Several blocks of Irving St. are closed to vehicles and have been turned into park-like spaces. I'm not sure this truly qualifies as landscape, but this seemed like the closest match. Any and all critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Martin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Irving St., Portland
Asgard Administrator
26th Nov 2013
HBB Moderator
27th Nov 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
28th Nov 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
28th Nov 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
30th Nov 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
30th Nov 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2013
Martin Gonn Gold Member
04th Dec 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 26-Nov-13 09:54 PM
51168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice image

I would cut off the street.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 27-Nov-13 05:01 PM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Martin:

Thank you for joining Nikonians. I hope your time with us will be rewarding.

I agree with Gerold: crop off the street and curb at the bottom of the image, as it distracts from the composition above it.

I realize this is a night scene, captured with ambient illumination, which makes the lighting appear a bit flat and two-dimensional. Would you consider increasing the overall contrast a bit, and a bit of sharpening? It may provide some perception of three-dimensional depth.

You can do this with the Levels or Curves tools in Photoshop, or a combination of the two.

Nice, thought provoking composition with an aura of mystery about it.

Thank you for posting it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 28-Nov-13 03:05 AM
6540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Greetings Martin,

I am going to disagree with my peers on this one. I like the composition and the inclusion of the curb and more even more so the cut away access. My eyes right away noticed the curb, found the access and followed the slightly brighter bricks right to the bench which is placed exactly on the rule of thirds line. I glanced at the area with the bench for a bit and then moved on to the many other items in the scene. Cropping this image in a way that removes all of the curb IMO would make the image at the bottom feel cramped. I do agree with the scene being a little flat and that it could use a little sharpening. I hope you enjoy your stay here at Nikonians. You will find many wonderful photographers always willing to lend a helping hand if needed. Thanks for sharing this image.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Thu 28-Nov-13 03:15 AM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Thanks to both of you for the thoughtful comments. I've gone back and forth about the street, I think there's a case to be made with or without. I'm going to take another look at it without. (By the way,my current teacher, an excellent pro with 40+ years experience, likes it). I've also worked with sharpening and contrast, but I think I prefer it the way it is, feels a bit more mysterious. This is probably just a matter of taste.

Martin

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 28-Nov-13 03:42 AM
6540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Fair enough Martin on the contrast & sharpening. One of the things I enjoy most about Nikonians is the diverse points of views. It has played a huge part in me growing as a photographer over the years. Since this is the landscape thread and not really the critique thread would you mind if I posted an edited version of this image here?

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Thu 28-Nov-13 04:14 PM
#6. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 5

Portland, US

Hello Scott,

I don't mind at all if you post an edited version, in fact I would love to see what you do. Thank for taking the time to do this. I looked again at the photo with the curb cropped out, and I still think, all things considered, that it's needed.

Martin

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 30-Nov-13 02:52 AM
#7. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Sorry for the delay Martin. This probably the direction I would take this, not that it is any better, just a my view of it. I still like it with the curb there.

Before:

After:

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Sat 30-Nov-13 04:09 AM
#8. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 7

Portland, US

Wow. Your version certainly transforms the photo, gives it a completely different mood. I'm really impressed that you were able to sharpen it so much without it looking noisy and artificial. I suspect most people would prefer this. Still, I have to say it's not the look I wanted; if anything I'm trying to move farther from realistic. But I'm very impressed nonetheless. Thank you.

Martin

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Mon 02-Dec-13 01:44 PM
#9. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Actually I "sharpened" it very little. What you are seeing is the difference in contrast mostly. I completely understand the want to move or push past realistic. Some of my own work is in this category, bordering on hyper realistic or surreal.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Martin Gonn Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013Wed 04-Dec-13 03:48 AM
#10. "RE: Irving St., Portland"
In response to Reply # 9

Portland, US

Thanks again, Scott. I've learned a thing or two from everyone's comments (I've been shooting only since July, so I'm still on the steep part of that learning curve.) And congratulations on your contest-winning photo: a handsome image and a beautiful tractor - a very fortunate find (good things come to those who are prepared.)

Martin

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #78288 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.