nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #78205
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nov 20 Sunrise" Previous topic | Next topic
Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 21-Nov-13 03:14 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nov 20 Sunrise"

While I was driving to work today I had to pull over and snap a few photos of this incredible sunrise. Very little post processing done; the color was striking. Hope you enjoy. By the way the "dot" in the air on the second photo (right side) is the Aerostat blimp "patrolling" the southern border.
Dale.

D7000, 70-200 f/2.8 vrII @70mm, ISO 640, f/4.5, 1/250

D7000, 70-200 f/2.8 vrII @130mm, ISO 640, f/4.5, 1/400

D7000, 70-200 f/2.8 vrII @138mm, ISO 640, f/4.5, 1/3200

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise KerryS Silver Member
21st Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
21st Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise fred59
21st Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Daymon55
21st Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Dgastrong Gold Member
21st Nov 2013
     Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise fred59
21st Nov 2013
Reply message Are these panos? EYeye
24th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Are these panos? RMcC
27th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
27th Nov 2013
05th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise labtrout Silver Member
27th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise VictorSuarez Silver Member
05th Dec 2013
05th Dec 2013
05th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise jdh8 Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
11th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Martin Gonn Gold Member
07th Dec 2013
11th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise Scotty45 Silver Member
07th Dec 2013
11th Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise MarkM10431 Silver Member
12th Dec 2013
13th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise clickhans
13th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Jan 2014
14th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise af4nc Gold Member
24th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nov 20 Sunrise umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
25th Jan 2014
25th Jan 2014

KerryS Silver Member  Sedro Woolley, WA, US  Nikonian since 30th Nov 2012 Thu 21-Nov-13 04:03 AM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing color. I love sunrises.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:33 PM
53220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Wonderful Images

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

fred59   Atlanta, US  Registered since 15th Sep 2013 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:37 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 2

Great. Glad you had your camera.

C. Fred Stephenson

Daymon55   Godalming, UK  Registered since 10th Oct 2013 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:43 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

That must be some drive to work!

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 21-Nov-13 02:51 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks everybody!
And yes the drive is about an hour but come January I'll not be driving it any more...full retirement!!

Dale.

fred59   Atlanta, US  Registered since 15th Sep 2013 Thu 21-Nov-13 03:23 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 5

Enjoy!

C. Fred Stephenson

EYeye   US  Registered since 16th Sep 2012 Sun 24-Nov-13 06:02 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Are these panos?"
In response to Reply # 0

I like the first one the best, but all are nice. Sunrise is a harder and more fleeting light to capture than sunsets IMO.

EYeye

RMcC   Northern Ontario, CA  Registered since 27th Feb 2013 Mon 27-Jan-14 04:46 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Are these panos?"
In response to Reply # 7

A photo teacher once said he preferred sunsets to sunrises since they get better and better the longer to watch them, whereas sunrises are the reverse. It is much harder to capture a sunrise at its best.

Rose

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007 Mon 25-Nov-13 05:48 AM
6733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice captures Dale, I like #3.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography   Lakeville, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006 Wed 27-Nov-13 10:02 PM
4561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, very dramatic.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 05-Dec-13 04:27 PM
#13. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks Scott and Larry
Dale.

labtrout Silver Member  Bristol, US  Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011 Wed 27-Nov-13 11:08 PM
651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Dale,

Congratulations on some great images and on your upcoming retirement! I retired at the end of last year and have never looked back. More time for photography and a host of other things.

VictorSuarez Silver Member  Carmel, US  Nikonian since 28th Apr 2013 Thu 05-Dec-13 12:04 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 10

I half expected to see The Lord Of The Rings cast ride by, breathtaking shots!

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 05-Dec-13 04:29 PM
#14. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 11

Thanks Victor, I had to move the cast out of the way to get the shot..

Dale

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Thu 05-Dec-13 04:25 PM
#12. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks Fred, looking forward to it BIG TIME.
Dale

jdh8 Gold Member  Buckley, US  Nikonian since 20th Mar 2007 Thu 05-Dec-13 08:32 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful series Dale. #1 is my favorite but all are wonderful. Its amazing what you can see when your up before the sunrises.

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Wed 11-Dec-13 02:19 AM
#19. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 15

thanks John, you are right the best time of day for some of us...

Martin Gonn Gold Member  Portland, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2013 Sat 07-Dec-13 03:47 AM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't usually much care for sunrises (or sunsets for that matter) but these are like gorgeous color field paintings. I particularly like the first. Where is this Dale?

Martin

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Wed 11-Dec-13 02:18 AM
#18. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 16

Hi Martin, this is south of Tucson on Highway 83 about 6 miles north of Sonoita. Great place to live.
Dale

Scotty45 Silver Member  AU  Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010 Sat 07-Dec-13 11:57 AM
1378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Stunning sunrise Dale. Absolutely stunning.....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Wed 11-Dec-13 02:22 AM
#20. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 17

Thanks Scotty, really appreciated. We have been out here for years and have seen these many times before. Now I have the tools and the training to capture these "events" to save for our personal posterity.
Thanks again,
Dale.

MarkM10431 Silver Member  jacksonville, US  Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013 Thu 12-Dec-13 05:44 PM
580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 20

can you tell me more about the shots, any filters used? what post processing?

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Fri 13-Dec-13 03:55 AM
#22. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 21

Hi Mark. Sure. No filters, post was in LR5.2. In post I sharpened to 35, used 70 as a masking setting ( used the Alt key during mask to see the edges), and then increased the contrast just a bit because the air had a small bit of haze that drifts north from Mexico. The border towns in Arizona and Mexico have several folks that supplement their heating with wood burning stoves or fireplaces....therefore the haze. I also suspect that the little bit of smoke in the air added to the red, however I'm not sure.
Hope that helps,
Dale.

clickhans   UM  Registered since 10th Jul 2012 Mon 13-Jan-14 10:19 PM
1161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing sunrise.

Best
hans

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Land O Lakes, US  Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011 Mon 13-Jan-14 10:22 PM
1923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Dale,

Nice image. It would make a good entry in this month's landscape competition.

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Tue 14-Jan-14 01:10 PM
#25. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 24

Thanks Hans and Tom. Tom, thanks for the recommendation for the January contest; I'm considering it.

Dale.

af4nc Gold Member  Yardley, US  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007 Fri 24-Jan-14 11:49 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice series

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.   Lexington, US  Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011 Sat 25-Jan-14 04:42 PM
1997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful, almost surreal color, Dale. I love fall and especially winter sunrises. Congratulations in your retirement. Question; do you find the 70-200 2.8 a good pairing with D7000?

Scottie

Dgastrong Gold Member  Sonoita, US  Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012 Sat 25-Jan-14 09:42 PM
#28. "RE: Nov 20 Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 27

Hey there Scottie, thanks for the retirement wishes.

As for the 70-200 f/2.8 pairing with the D7000, in a word yes. It is a Fine piece of glass as you know, and it will serve me well if I ever switch to FX format. Right now this and my 24-70f/2.8 are my go to lenses.

When I shot the "ceramics" post ( B&W forum) I was in a small room with six potters and not much light. The D7000 with the 70-200 did a great job at letting me control the dof and "rough" feel that I was hoping for.

My only complaints are with my lack of abilities, not the equipment.

Dale

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #78205 Previous topic | Next topic