Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #77965
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting the stars" Previous topic | Next topic
tincam7 Registered since 07th Sep 2012Fri 08-Nov-13 01:55 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting the stars"

US

Hi! I hope to have more time to go shooting soon and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for nighttime landscape photography. I am really interested in taking my D7000 out with the 14mm f/2.8 to capture the night sky. However, having never officially done this, I was wondering if there are any tips regarding location, etc. I live in a suburban area and the city is very small and it is relatively isolated (up in the mountains). But is there anything else I should know that a more experienced fellow photographer could let me know?

I understand the actual settings for shooting at this time of night, but was looking for a little more insight.

Thanks!

— Cameron

Check out my photography at www.tincam.weebly.com
Photographer | Teacher | Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 08-Nov-13 02:34 PM
11668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting the stars"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Nov-13 04:16 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

The big problem with shooting the night sky is light pollution. You have to really be away from civilization to get the brightest and clearest images. It also helps to be at elevation to reduce atmospheric intrusion. Here is a shot of the Milky Way taken at about 5,000 feet in the mountains surrounding Death Valley. I may be wrong but I am speculating that the glow coming from the left are the lights from Las Vegas, which is a good ways away.

If you want to have the foreground have detail and not just a black silhouette take a small flashlight and paint the foreground during the exposure. I found that all it takes is a small one as the bigger lights are usually too powerful.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tincam7 Registered since 07th Sep 2012Fri 08-Nov-13 03:07 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting the stars"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Ernesto! Your tip about elevation is something I hadn't really thought too much about. But it makes sense and is a good idea. I will definitely take a light with me as well. Have you found a certain time of night to work better? Obviously the darker it is the better for stars, but I've also seen some great shots that look like the sun was just barely under the horizon and you can already see the stars quite well. Do you have any experience with that scenario?

— Cameron

Check out my photography at www.tincam.weebly.com
Photographer | Teacher | Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #77965 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.