Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #76904
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges" Previous topic | Next topic
Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Thu 03-Oct-13 11:16 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"

Dongara, AU

Hi Everyone, I bought myself a 12 to 24 DX nikon lens to use whilst on holidays touring around the north west of Western Australia. The colours are amazing in the early and twilight hours.I am keen to get into some landscape photography as well as my usual nature photography.Not sure if its me and my old eyes but it does not look all that sharp to me,I have done some minor sharpening and I didnt want to over do it.
CC is most welcome on this photo.

Cheers & thanks.

Glen

Nikon D90 12-24 DX @ 12mm
F11 . 1/125. ISO 320.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
03rd Oct 2013
Watto Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
glxman Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
JosephHemphill Silver Member
09th Oct 2013

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Thu 03-Oct-13 04:42 PM
550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Oct-13 05:34 PM by s2sailorlis_nikon

US

Glenn - nice lighting here. Maybe crop out some of the left side as the eye is tending to push me to the left - if that is what you wanted - or maybe crop out some of the ridge on the right.

Re sharpness, i have not used this lens so don't know how sharp it is at 12mm. I would sharpen it up and try more contrast. See my image below - not great light - but this is shot on an old D50 with a very ordinary 28-70 3.5-4.5 lens JPEG fine...it was PP in LR4 where i:

1) pushed the contrast,
2) added a little clarity
3) pushed up the vibrance (not saturation)
4) applied quite a bit of sharpening

Other issue might be around hyperfocal distance- a concept i am still trying to wrap my head around...

I think it's reasonably sharp given it was taken from car window, hand held, on a 6mpix camera. So maybe you can do the same on yours and see what happens

excuse typos...via iPad....

Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Fri 04-Oct-13 11:32 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"
In response to Reply # 1

Dongara, AU

Hi Rick , Thanks for the CC much appreciated. I had a play with what you suggested and came up with this which I like better. I didnt want to crop to much though.

Thanks again , cheers Glen

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Fri 04-Oct-13 12:42 PM
550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Looks a bit sharper. I think it's a tad too yellowish - but its personal preference i guess..hence this is where the art of PP comes in...never been to Australia...on my list of places to go..if I can get my company to foot the bill!

excuse typos...via iPad....

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Oct-13 12:33 PM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Both look good to me Glen
But you have some good advice,
Love to get back up there,
Last time I was around those parts I was shooting 12 rolls on the FE
Got back home and found out age had caught up with my focusing ability
Looked great in the viewfinder but I was focusing to my eyes,
12 rolls in the trash
Not long after I bought the D700,
Now technology does the focusing for me
The Bungle Bungle Range is on the "bucket list"
Regards,
Gary

JosephHemphill Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2013Wed 09-Oct-13 06:33 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sunrise at Kennedy Ranges"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

The 12-24 is a pretty good lens (not the 14-24 but still up there). To me it seems the whites and highlights are a bit bright. Maybe mess with the curves to tone them down a bit, then come back with some sharpening. I see a lot that can be down with this image. The composition is great but my only nit pick is I would love to see more of the plateau in the foreground to give it that outback'ish feel. Keep at it, landscapes are such fun!

-Joseph Hemphill

Visit my Portfolio.
or on Facebook.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #76904 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.