nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #76747
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror Lock Up" Previous topic | Next topic
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Thu 26-Sep-13 10:36 PM
1965 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror Lock Up"
Thu 26-Sep-13 10:36 PM by umdaman1

Lexington, US

I've never used mirror lock up but I've read that it is an effective technique for getting sharper landscapes. Can anyone speak from experience about their results from shooting with the mirror up? Does it really improve image quality?

Scottie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror Lock Up
kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
26th Sep 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
27th Sep 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
27th Sep 2013
dwaycie Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
27th Sep 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
28th Sep 2013
LL49Wat
30th Sep 2013
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
01st Oct 2013

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Thu 26-Sep-13 11:15 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Sep-13 11:16 PM by kidsthehall45

Chicago, US

Hi Scottie, hope you're well. I use mirror lock up for all my landscape shooting. I can say I have noticed a difference, including when doing HDR landscapes. I've read reports that go both ways, so my view is certainly subjective. One thing to note (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that mirror lock up is not equivalent to live view. The mirror is up when live view is on, but without setting mirror lock up in addition to live view, you'll still get the mirror slap (i.e. the mirror will still flip down and then up again where the vibrations can affect the shot). So set lock up separately in addition to live view if you're using it. With lock up set, you'll need to push the shutter twice--once to lock the mirror up and another shortly after to take the shot. On my D600 I have lock up set as the default when I'm using a remote also. My standard set up is to roll the dial over to remote for landscapes on a tripod with the mirror lock up for remote option already set. Then I push the remote button twice to take the shot. For HDR's it's twice for each frame. Goes without saying that lock up is only worth it if using a tripod and some sort of remote, atleast in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 27-Sep-13 03:04 PM
1246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 1

US

> One thing to note (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is
>that mirror lock up is not equivalent to live view. The
>mirror is up when live view is on, but without setting mirror
>lock up in addition to live view, you'll still get the mirror
>slap (i.e. the mirror will still flip down and then up again
>where the vibrations can affect the shot).

Not true; the mirror stays up when shooting in live view. I shoot my HDR's using live view combined with self timer and exposure delay. Once the shutter is activated the process is hands free and vibrationless.

Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Fri 27-Sep-13 04:21 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Hi Dave,

That's interesting. I suppose using exposure delay changes the equation a bit, although that feature is not available on all nikon cameras correct? I've received conflicting information about live view being equal to MUP, even in the Nikonian threads. See here for example http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=310&topic_id=10389&prev_page=show_topic&gid=10389#10397

I'd be happy to save the step and just use live view for mirror lock up it what you're saying is correct.

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 27-Sep-13 02:33 AM
11882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I believe MLU is an essential part of good shooting technique. And when you throw in a high res camera like a D800 it is practically mandatory. That is if you want ultra sharp images that will withstand large printing.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Fri 27-Sep-13 04:36 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 2

Buffalo Grove, US

I'm puzzled. Which camera are we talking about? I've got the D7000, and it appears that the mirror does actuate during shooting in Live View mode. I think it was the same on the D90.

I could be wrong, but I'd love to hear a little more clarification. Thanks much!

Dave

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Fri 27-Sep-13 04:55 PM
#6. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

I believe the OP (Scottie) also has a D7000.

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 27-Sep-13 07:08 PM
1246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 27-Sep-13 07:48 PM by DAJolley

US

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to newer cameras like my D800 and D4 where the mirror does not flip between shots when shooting in Live View. In the case of the D7000 and several other earlier cameras there are two Live View settings, Tripod mode and Handheld mode. In Handheld mode the mirror does flip up in Live View to allow autofocus operation, in Tripod mode, the mirror stays up and does not flip. I should mention that there are many internet posts that claim the mirror still flips in Tripod mode even though that is contrary to what Nikon says on the subject:

"Select Nikon D-SLR cameras such as the D3 series’ Live View consists of Tripod Live View mode and Handheld Live View mode. These are designed for use when shooting with the camera on a tripod and handheld respectively.
Live View Tripod Mode uses contrast-detect autofocus driven from the imaging sensor. Instead of flipping the mirror up and then back down momentarily to AF, the camera keeps the mirror raised continuously in the Tripod Live View mode and reads data off the CMOS image sensor and evaluates how abruptly light to dark (or dark to light) transitions happen on the image plane, thus allowing focus without interrupting the Live View display. Tripod Mode is ideal when photographing still life images in a studio environment or for photographing landscapes and has the added benefit of allowing the exact positioning of the AF point anywhere within the frame. Certain Nikon D-SLR cameras such as the D4 and D800 have a redesigned Live View system. Live View mode is accessed by the LV button on the rear of the camera. This camera’s Live View offers Photography Live View for taking still photographs only and Movie Live View."

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 27-Sep-13 08:02 PM
#8. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Scottie,
Sorry I changed the topic to live view and mirror flipping; in regard to your original question, MLU is very effective at getting the sharpest images possible in addition to many other things like a sturdy tripod.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sat 28-Sep-13 04:01 AM
1965 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

No worries, Dave. Thank you and everyone else for your comments. I will definitely use mirror lock up on my next outing.

Scottie

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 30-Sep-13 12:42 AM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Spartanburg, US

Is there a good discussion on line about mirror lockup showing the steps involved for digital cameras? I have an e8800, a D5100, and a D7000. I want to be able to use it on the D7000 even if it's not available on the other 2.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 01-Oct-13 11:57 PM
35231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Mirror Lock Up"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 02-Oct-13 12:00 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Scottie,
In short, yes.
More so when with a remote release and the tripod weighted or leaning on it. As Ernesto mentioned, with a D800 it is mandatory.

As careful as I want to be when depressing the shutter, excitement has me frequently creating some motion blur.
And that, even if only noticeable at pixel peeping, bothers me like an infected tooth gum, out of the knowledge that a second chance for that landscape is most likely impossible.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #76747 Previous topic | Next topic