nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do you judge "straight"?

roffelmau

DEPEW, US
289 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
roffelmau Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2013
Sun 22-Sep-13 09:32 PM

I know it can be both personal preference or a technical leveling... The problem I have is this: What if nothing is actually straight in the frame(either horizontal or vertical)?

My case in point is the photo below. When I took it this morning, I tried to make the trees average vertical because there were a number of them that are just sticking out there in plain sight. When I got home and looked at it on the computer screen, the entire scene looked as if it was going to slide off the left side of the monitor at any moment. When I made the water look flat, the trees looked as if they were ready to fall down.

Nothing in the view is actually straight or level and the shoreline and trees give my brain confusing signals. So I pretty much split the difference.

How would you all view and deal with it? I'm curious...

--Andy

Click on image to view larger version

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? Pouncer Silver Member
22nd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
27th Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
22nd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? roffelmau Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? AartPapaya Silver Member
23rd Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
24th Sep 2013
     Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
25th Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? DaveSoderlund Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest
24th Sep 2013
Reply message 5rRE: How do you judge "straight"? GiantTristan Silver Member
24th Sep 2013
Reply message 5rRE: How do you judge "straight"? sabbey51 Gold Member
24th Sep 2013
Reply message 5rRE: How do you judge "straight"? factotum
27th Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? danshep Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
Reply message RE: How do you judge "straight"? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
25th Sep 2013

G