nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #76650
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunrise on the fly" Previous topic | Next topic
Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Sun 22-Sep-13 08:49 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunrise on the fly"
Sun 22-Sep-13 08:49 PM by Rassie

We had a foggy early morning earlier this week. I saw this sunrise on the way to visit a customer, so I pulled over and shot this out of the car. Didn't have time to use a tripod and I couldn't stand there for long due to traffic.

D7000 with Nikkor 18-200 mm.
ISO 400, F/11, 1.250 sec.

My Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Mon 23-Sep-13 06:54 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunrise on the fly"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 23-Sep-13 06:57 PM by AartPapaya

A scene to be photographed. It is obvious that if you had time you would have done much better. I think it needs some serious cropping. The two trees on the right is overwhelming.

I hope I may dare to change this picture with a suggested crop.
Regards

or

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Mon 23-Sep-13 10:00 PM
2578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunrise on the fly"
In response to Reply # 1

Razzie

I nice yellow sun. The fog was indeed so thick that it bent the sun out of shape :)

Aart, I think I understand what you're after, namely focusing on the bare essentials. But there is a special feeling in the original photo that gets lost in the cropped versions. It is the effect of the fog or haze. Without the thick haze it would have been impossible to capture the sun and the backlit vegetation, with detail visible in both. In most sunrise shots, as soon as the sun is above the horizon, either the foreground in bare silhouette or the sun is burnt out, or both. What I like in the original is the fact that there's color in the sun as well as the vegetation, and this effect is diluted in the cropped versions.

Regards, Antero

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Tue 24-Sep-13 05:09 AM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunrise on the fly"
In response to Reply # 2

One do loose a lot with this severe crop but one should be able to rescue much of the color with the original in raw. On the other hand the original was a moment to share and not to cook up a perfect picture. Thank you Antero for somewhat blunting what appear to be sharp criticism.

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mjt73106   US  Registered since 24th Mar 2013 Thu 26-Sep-13 01:49 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sunrise on the fly"
In response to Reply # 1

I would like to see the black foreground cropped out and make it a more of a panoramic sunset.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #76650 Previous topic | Next topic