Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74748
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Fri 21-Jun-13 02:57 AM
1175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"

Kimberley, CA

In something more than ten visits to Capitol Reef over the last 40 years I had never had the opportunity to get into the Cathedral Valley area in the Northern part of the Park, because I never had a suitable vehicle. This year we brought a Toyota 4Runner so could go anywhere legal. We did two overnight trips into Cathedral Valley -- actually planned for more time up there but the insects and wind were pretty unbearable! It is wonderful country, and we mostly had the whole place to ourselves, as there was very little traffic other than us.

The big problem I struggled with constantly is how to convey the scale of the place. Everything is enormous, and enormously impressive. I just don't quite have a handle on how to get this across...

D800, 70-200 F4 at 98mm,
F11 at 1/125, ISO 500, tripod

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley
Wingman Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
cogrady Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
Wingman Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
21st Jun 2013
Wingman Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013
Wingman Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
26th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
cchoc Moderator
08th Jul 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
08th Jul 2013
mjhach Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
Wingman Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
af4nc Gold Member
09th Jul 2013

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Fri 21-Jun-13 03:02 AM
1175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Kimberley, CA

Here is a detail from the right center of the above shot. I think it gives a sense of what this combination of camera and lens can do. Those cliffs were a couple of miles from my shooting position, so there is some image degradation from haze and smoke in the air, but I still am impressed...

Neal

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Fri 21-Jun-13 12:13 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Nice images. I know exactly where you were standing when you took these. In fact, this overlook is simply overwhelming in terms of all that you see on the valley floor and in the formations. I agree with you that the scale is very difficult to convey. I love Capitol Reef.

And this is no-see-ums season there so I'm sure you suffered the consequences!

Cheers!
Claudia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Fri 21-Jun-13 02:48 PM
#3. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 2

Kimberley, CA

Thank you Claudia. I had never been there in June, so the gnats were an unpleasant surprise! I'm still itching 10 days later...

I still would not have missed the experience, though. I too love Capitol Reef, in most any conditions!

Neal

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 21-Jun-13 06:39 PM
51167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice images

Well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Fri 21-Jun-13 10:07 PM
#5. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 4

Kimberley, CA

Thank you Gerold...

Here is another shot from the same sunset series. Same shooting data as above, but zoomed to 200mm.

Neal

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Sat 22-Jun-13 12:42 AM
1187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Very nice, wish I could have gone there.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 22-Jun-13 01:04 AM
#7. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 22-Jun-13 01:05 AM by Wingman

Kimberley, CA

Thank you Dave. I waited and wished for many years before finally getting up there. It felt like a special privelege to finally do it...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Wed 26-Jun-13 09:58 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 7

Camberley, GB

Very impressive. I'd say you've done a good job in conveying the scale of this wonderful place. Somewhere else to put on my list of "must visit" when we are next in the southwest of the USA.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 03:38 PM
3400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

Wonderful set of images. I really must get State side and see all this beauty

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 02:10 PM
4542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Very nice. It's a beautiful place that I want to get back to, maybe this monsoon season if the river doesn't rise too much.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Mon 08-Jul-13 10:25 PM
822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Beautiful images Neal,

Richard

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Tue 09-Jul-13 12:32 AM
495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

And this is in which state?

Just wondering something else. Taking a four wheel drive truck is obviously a necessity but how do you know where to go? Are there suggested trail guides so you don't find yourself driving along a mesa and suddenly run out of ground to go and the next foot forward is 300 feet straight down!!

Thanks
Mike

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Tue 09-Jul-13 03:17 AM
#13. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 09-Jul-13 03:18 AM by Wingman

Kimberley, CA

Thanks for all the positive comments! This wonderful National Park is in Southern Utah -- north of the Grand Canyon and between Bryce Canyon and Canyonlands/Arches National Parks. This road does require high clearance in a couple of spots but is generally quite good. It is an old ranch road -- well marked and totally non-dangerous and non-scary. The overlooks I've shot these photos from are generally short easy and well marked walks from the road. The road forms a loop of about 40 miles or so. There is a lovely primitive campground (no water) at about the halfway point of the loop road. Most people drive the whole thing in a day and think they've seen Cathedral Valley. It's much better to spend a night or two up there, and spend some time with the place. As you can see from my pictures, sunsets and sunrises are very rewarding.

Neal

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 09-Jul-13 09:53 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capitol Reef: Cathedral Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Beautiful shot, great light.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74748 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.