Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74716
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bryce Canyon" Previous topic | Next topic
DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 01:26 PM
1221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bryce Canyon"
Thu 20-Jun-13 08:29 PM by DAJolley

US

I just returned from a 10 trip through southern Utah which included Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.
Here are a couple of my favorites from two morning sunrises at Bryce Canyon.
Dave Jolley

Thor's Hammer Sunburst
4-Shot HDR processed in NIK HDR Efex Pro2
D800E ,Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED,1/25s f/13.0 at 24.0mm iso100

Sunrise Breaking Over Aquarius Plateau
5-Shot HDR processed in NIK HDR Efex Pro2
D800E ,AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR, 1/50s f/13.0 at 22.0mm iso400

Another shot of Thor's Hammer taken the second morning I was at Bryce Canyon
5-Shot HDR processed in NIK HDR Efex Pro2
D800E ,Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 1/125s f/13.0 at 40.0mm iso100

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Bryce Canyon
Wingman Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
psf914
20th Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
Wingman Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
nikond90greg Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
20th Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
russg Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
Reply message ♦RE: Bryce Canyon
Bump57 Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
kennoll Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
24th Jun 2013
STAN__LEE Silver Member
23rd Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
23rd Jun 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
23rd Jun 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
25th Jun 2013
rws67 Gold Member
26th Jun 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
af4nc Gold Member
09th Jul 2013

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 20-Jun-13 06:15 PM
1287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Kimberley, CA

These are lovely -- great use of HDR.

If you got anything interesting in Capitol Reef, I'd be interested in seeing them. Capitol Reef is my favourite Park in that part of the country and I'm always interested in how other photographers approach the place.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 08:21 PM
1221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Neal,
I've got a few nice shots from Capitol Reef. Every day we had triple digit temperatures, high winds and dust everywhere which didn't help my picture taking at all. At Capital Reef we were attacked by swarms of biting gnats every where we went as soon as the sun came up.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 07:34 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Two great shots Dave

I hope to get back to Utah sometime. Spectacular scenery like this throughout the State. Nice job in positioning the sun in the first shot.

Peter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 08:25 PM
#5. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Peter,
I have seen that sunburst effect many times before and just happened to be on that trail at the right time so I decided to try one for myself. Another photographer just to my left had been waiting all morning to get the shot but once the sun came up, he was too far left and couldn't get just the edge of the hammer with the sun rays.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 20-Jun-13 08:47 PM
1287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 5

Kimberley, CA

Yep, we just returned from Capitol Reef -- Our trip reminded me of why I tend not to travel in high summer. It was way too hot, the gnats and biting flies almost unbearable, and the only relief from the bugs was when the wind and dust blew them away. We had a great ten days anyway...

Capitol Reef (and all of Southern Utah) is much better in September and October -- cooler with no insects, clearer air, and lower sun angles during the day which is a more flattering light for landscape work.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

nikond90greg Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2010Sat 22-Jun-13 09:51 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorba Linda, CA, US

Wingman
Thanks for the info. My wife and I booked a time share in St. George for 1 week in early August. After reading your report on the bugs, winds and high temps, we cancelled and re-booked for late Sept. and early October. Should be much more enjoyable.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 20-Jun-13 07:50 PM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

Wonderful Images!

my website

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 20-Jun-13 08:45 PM
51759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice images

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 12:07 PM
#11. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks Gerold.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 10:45 PM
1308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

All three are really great, Dave. Outstanding HDR technique. Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

Russ

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 12:07 PM
#12. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks Russ. I'm working on more images.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 11:26 PM
6547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "♦RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Beautiful images Dave. I particularly like 1 & 3 for the sun in the frame. I know from my own experience that lining up the sun just right here to get the burst is not easy to do especially in the time frame we have to do it in which I imagine in this case was really short. Great work and your post work is very nice also. I hope to make it here one day myself. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 21-Jun-13 03:24 AM
1956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Beautiful series, Dave. Masterful use of HDR. It's hard to choose a favorite out of the three.

Scottie

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 12:08 PM
#13. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Scottie,
Thanks. It's hard not to find a good photo op at Bryce Canyon.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 21-Jun-13 07:06 PM
821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Jun-13 07:07 PM by kennoll

Seattle, US

Really nice work as usual Dave.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you travel when you go on these photo safaris? There are places I would like to go to (Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Eastern Washington, ?) In order to take advantage of the subject matter and good light periods of the day. Obviously one can't do these in a day trip so I was thinking of using my SUV as lodging as well as transportation.

Anyway, just curious.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Sat 22-Jun-13 11:32 AM
#15. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Ken,
I sent you a PM.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Mon 24-Jun-13 06:16 PM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 14

Lynnwood, US

I use my truck with canopy for lodging on trips or camp. Works well, no searching for a motel etc.

my website

STAN__LEE Silver Member Charter MemberSun 23-Jun-13 12:16 AM
6703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

ROSEVILLE, US

Hi Dave. Would this be 'Thor's Hammer'??? If so, great shot. stan

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Sun 23-Jun-13 12:18 AM
#18. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Yes Stan, that is Thor's Hammer. Thanks.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 23-Jun-13 02:30 PM
4679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 25-Jun-13 05:03 PM
4992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Hi!

Splendid framing, and HDR Efex Pro seems to churn out much more gorgeous images than Photomatix.

Well done!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

rws67 Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2013Wed 26-Jun-13 11:34 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 21

Cedar Park, US

Great use of HDR. I am not a fan of the extreme HDR I like stuff that still looks natural and you pulled that off.

Rob

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 27-Jun-13 11:31 AM
#23. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu 27-Jun-13 11:31 AM by DAJolley

US

Thanks. I have to be very careful when processing HDR that I don't get too extreme. It's easy to do and I'm already returning to some of these images to tone them down a bit more to my taste.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 03:36 PM
3475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu 27-Jun-13 03:38 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Wow Dave, wonderful shots and a fantastic example of how controlling HDR should be controlled. Great images.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 09-Jul-13 10:01 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Bryce Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Beautiful shots, I love the light.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74716 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.