nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74654
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland" Previous topic | Next topic
tonykennard Registered since 01st Aug 2009Sat 15-Jun-13 02:56 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"

CA

Heading to Scotland and Ireland next week for a couple of weeks and I'm going to be hitting up this location. Does anyone know if the lime green fence between the road and the trees is still there? There was talk of moving it behind the trees or finally removing it once and for all.

thanks!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
15th Jun 2013
tonykennard
25th Jun 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
26th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
27th Jun 2013
27th Jun 2013
28th Jun 2013
28th Jun 2013
tonykennard
30th Jun 2013
westacott Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
tonykennard
30th Jun 2013
westacott Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
tonykennard
01st Jul 2013
westacott Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
landism
07th Jul 2013
landism
07th Jul 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 15-Jun-13 04:09 AM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Jun-13 04:14 AM by esantos

McAllen, US

I was there last year in June and I didn't see any such thing. There is a fence but it is not lime green.

Have fun, Northern Ireland is fantastic! BTW, it is a little tricky to find the Dark Hedges. Make sure you have a GPS with a European map installed - actually I would not even consider touring Scotland and Ireland without one if you plan to drive.

It is between Ballymoney in the south and Ballycastle in the north directly east of the Gracehill Golf Club entrance. Also, the worst time to go for photography is during a sunny day. If it is foggy and dank then that's the time to head out there. Good luck!

I also recommend that you use a telephoto for this shot so that you get the necessary compression to bring the branches together and accentuate the effect. This was shot with my Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tonykennard Registered since 01st Aug 2009Tue 25-Jun-13 10:38 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 25-Jun-13 10:38 PM by tonykennard

CA

Thank you for the information esantos. Unfortunately, the 70-200 wasn't one of the pieces I brought. I have my 85mm 1.4D, 24-70 2.8 and my 14-24 2.8. I'm hoping I can get enough compression out of the 24-70 but we'll see. If all else fails, I give the 85mm a go. I'll be out there at 6:15 AM tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 26-Jun-13 12:29 AM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 2

McAllen, US

Good luck! Post the results if you can.

Ernesto Santos

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 04:40 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 3

Dyserth, UK

Terrific image. I really must get back over to N Ireland especially as I live about 50 miles from the ferry!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 27-Jun-13 08:31 PM
#5. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 4

McAllen, US

Thanks Richard. I would love to go back soon. You are fortunate to be so close.

Ernesto Santos

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 08:38 PM
3562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, UK

Just looked at your galleries, great images there and truly representative of Scotland and N Ireland. Maybe you should come visit my country, Wales, especially North Wales. We do great landscapes and seascapes too

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 28-Jun-13 03:20 AM
#7. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 28-Jun-13 03:21 AM by esantos

McAllen, US

Hi Richard,

Thanks! I have seen some incredible landscapes from Wales. I'm definitely planning to go to the U.K. again soon. Wales is on my list. I just hate thinking about having to fly into Heathrow again. That was a challenge.

Ernesto Santos

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 28-Jun-13 07:15 AM
#8. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 7

Dyserth, UK

Shame you can't fly into Manchester, that's an easy airport (if there's such a thing) and less than 2 hours away from Snowdonia.

Richard

tonykennard Registered since 01st Aug 2009Sun 30-Jun-13 12:24 AM
#9. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Well, I didn't get the compression I was hoping for but I still succeeded in getting a few keepers. I'll post more later this week but here's one so far...

Nikon D800
Nikon 85mm @ 1.4
1/250
ISO 100

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Sun 30-Jun-13 10:37 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 9

Coleraine., UK

>Well, I didn't get the compression I was hoping for but I
>still succeeded in getting a few keepers. I'll post more
>later this week but here's one so far...
>
>
>
>
>
>Nikon D800
>Nikon 85mm @ 1.4
>1/250
>ISO 100

Hi,
Can I ask why you chose to shoot it at f/1.4. Curious, as I have visited that area on many occasions but never would have thought to try an aperture as wide as that.
Ian

What you see depends on what you`re looking for. - Unknown

tonykennard Registered since 01st Aug 2009Sun 30-Jun-13 11:35 PM
#11. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

No worries on the question.

I wanted to leave it as open wide as possible for a couple reasons. 1 was that the time of day was before 6 am (my wife was NOT happy to have to leave Larne at 4:45 AM lol) and it was still not super light out. Also, even though this was a tripod shot, Longer exposure with tighter aperture would have resulted in some branch sway due to a bit of wind coming through that morning. The other reason was to try to have quite a bit of separation between fore and back ground via DoF. 1.4 gave me the best result for the look I was after.

westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Mon 01-Jul-13 11:14 AM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 11

Coleraine., UK

>No worries on the question.
>
>I wanted to leave it as open wide as possible for a couple
>reasons. 1 was that the time of day was before 6 am (my wife
>was NOT happy to have to leave Larne at 4:45 AM lol) and it
>was still not super light out. Also, even though this was a
>tripod shot, Longer exposure with tighter aperture would have
>resulted in some branch sway due to a bit of wind coming
>through that morning. The other reason was to try to have
>quite a bit of separation between fore and back ground via
>DoF. 1.4 gave me the best result for the look I was after.

Hi,
I understand exactly what you were trying to achieve given the prevaling conditions.
Was this your first visit to N.I.?
How did you find the scenery overall?
Regards,
Ian

tonykennard Registered since 01st Aug 2009Mon 01-Jul-13 11:38 AM
#13. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 12

CA

>Hi,
> I understand exactly what you were trying to achieve given
>the prevaling conditions.
>Was this your first visit to N.I.?
>How did you find the scenery overall?
>Regards,
>Ian

This was indeed our first visit, not only to N.I., but also to UK/Europe in general. We started out with a flight from London to Inverness to spend the first 5 days in Scotland before heading to N.I. and R.O.I. In hindsight, we should have gone directly to Ireland. My wife and I absolutely love it there and we're already planning a christmas trip this year. Christmas in Ireland sounds a hell of a lot better than a Christmas at home in Alberta, Canada.

westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Mon 01-Jul-13 12:40 PM
#14. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 13

Coleraine., UK

hi again,

I`m really glad you enjoyed it and are even planning a return visit. Now that speaks for itself.
I sincerely wish your next visit will be even better.
Best Regards,
Ian

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 01:11 PM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

very nice!!

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Sun 07-Jul-13 01:11 PM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: The Dark Hedges - Northern Ireland"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

nice!!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74654 Previous topic | Next topic