Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74584
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another one from Cornwall" Previous topic | Next topic
Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 08:29 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another one from Cornwall"

GB

Not sure about this one.....I wanted to catch the light in the water flowing down he beach, and also the rock on the right hand side, but could only get an angle to get this with the rock right over to the right......what do you think?

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another one from Cornwall
Rassie Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
13th Jun 2013
russg Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
Mike Walters Silver Member
14th Jun 2013
Rassie Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
HBB Moderator
15th Jun 2013

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 01:00 AM
2871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

I like. Even with the rock over to the right, the image is balanced by the channel of open water running to the left in the foreground, so it works for me.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 07:42 PM
50948 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I like it

Well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Thu 13-Jun-13 10:09 PM
1281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Works for me!

Russ

Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Fri 14-Jun-13 03:23 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks guys, I liked it, but it seemed to be wrong from a photographic 'composition rules 'point of view , however, rules are to be broken eh?

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 15-Jun-13 01:13 PM
2871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 15-Jun-13 01:18 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

>however,
>rules are to be broken eh?
>
>Mike
>
>
In this case, yes, although you didn't really break any compositional rules that I can see. The composition still remains well balanced. But breaking a rule has to make sense, otherwise what's the point? I guess one has a harder job to demonstrate why a rule needs to be broken. Many pictures are taken following all the rules, and many of those pictures are just blahh... Not much to criticize those pictures on, other than they are not exciting.

If you break a rule and the picture ends up as one of those otherwise blahh pictures one lays oneself open to serious criticism, because that's what people may fixate on - the broken rule. If the picture is good in other ways people are often willing to overlook the "broken rule" since the picture has other redeeming qualities.

So let's see more of these

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 15-Jun-13 09:15 PM
8467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Another one from Cornwall"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Mike:

I understand your goal with this image: capturing the sunlight reflected off the water flowing down the beach.

Would you consider making this a panorama, by cropping about half the foreground off, placing the horizon in the middle of the frame? (Yes, breaking another rule!)

A bit more contrast may bring out the sun's reflection in the water.

To my eye, the dark, massive islands of sand draw my eye from the much more appealing sunlit horizon and the more vivid reflection of the sun in the water immediately below it. In the panorama format, my eye sweeps left and right, never leaving the major points of interest.

If you have another session at this site, consider shooting from a lower angle, which will compress the massive foreground, while still retaining the desired reflections.

Very nice image, with lots of potential.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74584 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.