Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74558
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cwmorthin Slate Works, Snowdonia, Wales UK" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 07:38 AM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cwmorthin Slate Works, Snowdonia, Wales UK"
Tue 11-Jun-13 07:39 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

A recent trip to Cwmorthin, Gwynedd. The Slate mines were started in 1800 and ran in some way or another until the early 1990's. It is extremely remote set in the heart of Snowdonia. Men working the quarry lived in the Barracks and some walked from their homes up to 20 miles away and lived in the barracks. If we think life is hard, think again! I have since converted these to Monochrome and also took Ilford B&W film too. Camera clubs have flocked to this location for many years and sadly the Barracks 15 years ago had 4 chimney's now only one remains!

All taken with my D800.

Richard

The Barracks. Nikon 16-35mm - 1/200@f14 - ISO200 - EV = -1.33 - Tripod mounted

The Chapel. Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 - 1/160@f16 - ISO200 - EV -0.33 - Handheld

The Lake. Nikon 16-35mm - 1/60@f14 (Bracketed image) ISO200 - EV -1.67 - Tripod and remote release.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 12:33 PM
613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cwmorthin Slate Works, Snowdonia, Wales UK"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

Interesting photos. I like visiting some of the abandoned industrial and mining sites in my area. I find them to be emotionally moving as I think of the people who lived and worked in these places at one time, and I wonder what their lives were like. Sometime the sites can provide some striking photos. The slate mines in your pictures evoke a feeling of loneliness.

Matthew

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 12:38 PM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cwmorthin Slate Works, Snowdonia, Wales UK"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is very lonely and remote. I always imagine hearing the hustle and bustle of a busy mine.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Thu 13-Jun-13 02:00 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cwmorthin Slate Works, Snowdonia, Wales UK"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

Good series, Richard...love the details...

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74558 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.