nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74557
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Timestacking"" Previous topic | Next topic
hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 02:42 AM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Timestacking""

Germantown, US

Hi,

I posted this in the time lapse forum, but I thought landscape Nikonians might also be interested.

I have run across a technique that might interest you guys. I haven't read through all the posts, but haven't seen any about this. I saw some photos by Matt Molloy and thought they were really cool. He calls the process timestacking, and he takes a series of time lapse photos and blends them using photoshop, same as you do for star trails. I think he gets some really great effects: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/04/smeared-skies-made-from-hundreds-of-stacked-photographs-by-matt-molloy/ .

So I did a few time lapses the other day and these are my first attempts at "timestacks":

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 01:37 PM
648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Timestacking""
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

An interesting technique, and I really like the last picture, as it has a very dramatic sky.

Matthew

MauiKane Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2013Wed 12-Jun-13 10:18 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Timestacking""
In response to Reply # 0

US

What was your interval between shots that you did? I tried some cloud shots with interval of 2 minutes and it just turned out to look like a normal cloudy sky. No artistic effect at all.
Tom

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 11:29 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Timestacking""
In response to Reply # 2

Germantown, US

I used an interval of 3 seconds, but it was a breezy day, so the clouds were moving along fairly quickly. I did 100 shots, so it was about 5 minutes total, and in the different pictures I varied how many of the shots were included (the first one above was a stack of all 100, and the second is about 25).

Howard

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Thu 20-Jun-13 11:39 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "Timestacking""
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Very cool. The last one is especially good.

Apparently a breezy day makes for more dramatic cloud effects. Seems like you would also need a good ratio of cloud/sky or the clouds coud cover all the sky.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74557 Previous topic | Next topic