Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74465
View in linear mode

Subject: "powerhouse fire" Previous topic | Next topic
jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 03-Jun-13 06:49 PM
4370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"powerhouse fire"

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi all.

Wanted to share a couple of shots of the Powerhouse fire 6/1/13. I was staying in my camper at a friend's place close to Lancaster, CA. We were keeping an eye on this big fire which started out about 10 miles away on Thursday but moved to within less than a mile by early Sunday morning. We were forced to evacuate on Sunday and my friend's (lets call him Greg since that is his name) house burned to the ground as well as most of the others in that canyon. We had to get a number of vehicles down the mountain then go back up to get more.

I have never been this close to a major forest fire so any advice about shooting fires would be welcomed. I didn't have time to shoot any pictures when the flames came over the ridge and started down the canyon.

Shot with the Sigma 50-500 at 500mm on Nikon D3s. f/6.3-1/160sec-iso 200-auto white balance.

As always, any advice, comments or criticism very welcome.

JIM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: powerhouse fire
bingo Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
06th Jun 2013
Izzie Gold Member
05th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
06th Jun 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
06th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
07th Jun 2013
Matthew Gregory Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
09th Jun 2013
spicyTuna Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
10th Jun 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
11th Jun 2013

bingo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2008Tue 04-Jun-13 04:36 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Aspen, US

Hi JIM
Man looks like one hot fire, Sorry about your friends house.
Thanks for sharing .
Chuck.

Visit My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 06-Jun-13 02:44 PM
4370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for responding. I think the fire burned at least 35,000 acres.

JIM

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 05-Jun-13 09:22 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

You did very well, Jim -- considering you had time to prepare your shots days ahead...great job. My only nit is that you could have put a frame in your shots to separate them from the black bg of my monitor.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 06-Jun-13 02:48 PM
#4. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Izzie.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate your advice about framing the shots I post. I'm lucky to make time to get anything posted at all.

JIM

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Thu 06-Jun-13 09:35 PM
3039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Nice shots Jim. Stay safe.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 07-Jun-13 04:15 AM
#6. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Larry.

I can't wait for ANPAT.

JIM

Matthew Gregory Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Sat 08-Jun-13 03:25 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 6

Glenwood, US

Wow, Jim - when I first opened this thread I thought these were shots from my trip to Colorado last October. I caught a wildfire in Rifle, and your shots look as though we were in the same place on the same side of a mountain!

I struggled like mad to come up with good settings, and your shots are leaps and bounds better than mine (so my parallel betwixt our shots should really be "mine look like lame renditions of yours"). Scary circumstances to be shooting in - wish I'd had a much longer lens. these were taken with my 70-200 on my D7000.

Thanks for sharing, and hope you don't mind me posting my shots!

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 09-Jun-13 04:44 AM
#8. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 7

Hi Matthew.

The photos do look very similar and to me your's look real good. Of course I don't mind you posting your shots, thanks for doing so.

Here is a shot from this weekend of the aftermath of the fire. This whole hillside looked like the part at the top left before the fire.

And here is the 'compound'. On the left was a single-wide 60 ft. trailer with additions (leveled). In the middle was a barn and semi-trailer/shop (leveled and gutted) as well as a metal storage container (untouched). Behind that is a truck and my rig as well as a motorhome we drove out before the fire. Behind those is the slag heap of two other moterhomes. On the right is a newly acquired trailer and another truck that was driven out. Interestingly, on the left between the single-wide and the rest is the untouched generator shack.

And here is what is left of those two motorhomes:

As always, any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.

JIM

spicyTuna Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 09-Jun-13 06:59 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 8

San jose, US

>As always, any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.
>
>JIM
>
>
Hi Jim,

Wow, sorry to hear about the fire.

Comments on the picture. I like #2 and 3. if you have a wide angle, I might try getting close to to one of the objects in #3 like maybe the steering wheel or whatever is interesting and then frame with the burned landscape as the background using a small aperture for DOF. Black and white might work well here too.

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 10-Jun-13 03:45 PM
#10. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Aaron.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the advice.

JIM

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Tue 11-Jun-13 01:00 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 8

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Great shots James. This is natures way of showing us who is really in charge. I live in Sth East Australia where we get some horrific bushfires at times. Unfortunately it's accompanied by not only loss of possessions, but loss of life as well......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

jgould2 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 06:57 PM
#12. "RE: powerhouse fire"
In response to Reply # 11

Hi Scotty.

Thanks for the comments. I'll bet you get your share of bushfires! Must be a pretty neat place to live though.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #74465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.