Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73732
View in linear mode

Subject: "Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 04-May-13 04:01 AM
1187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"

Kimberley, CA

My wife Birgitta is very powerfully drawn to the desert. I on the other hand am very much a mountain person. Playing around in Death Valley works for both of us...

The snow covered peak in the distance is Mt Charleston, about 60 miles away.

D700, 70-300 VR at 95mm
F8 at 1/125, ISO 200

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains
edbeatty Silver Member
04th May 2013
Escaladieu Silver Member
04th May 2013
newbird Silver Member
04th May 2013
jxv777 Silver Member
04th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
04th May 2013
newbird Silver Member
05th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
05th May 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
07th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
07th May 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
09th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
09th May 2013
Robman3
10th May 2013
Izzie Gold Member
09th May 2013
newbird Silver Member
11th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
11th May 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
11th May 2013
Asgard Administrator
04th May 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
09th May 2013

edbeatty Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2010Sat 04-May-13 04:28 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 0

temecula, US

wonderful

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Sat 04-May-13 02:12 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 0

Artiguemy, FR

Good work

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 04-May-13 02:56 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Nice photo from a very different point of view from what we are used to see !

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th May 2009Sat 04-May-13 06:17 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 3

Kirkland, WA, US

Nice shot!

James

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 04-May-13 06:55 PM
1187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 4

Kimberley, CA

Thanks to all! Most people go to DVNP to see Badwater, the dunes, Artist Drive, Zabriskie, etc. with their only real mountain experience being Dante's View. For me some of the greatest attractions are the mountains -- and they are not necessarily hard to access. This was done from a spot less than a mile from the Skidoo Road. Easy walk up a gentle wash with an an interesting old cabin and various mining relics along the way. This late afternoon shot was done by my wife at the cabin. The view is 10 minutes from the cabin site. We were there to work with the cabin -- the view was a surprise bonus...

D800, 24-120 F4 at 120mm
F8 at 1/60 handheld, ISO 400

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sun 05-May-13 02:22 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 5

This is a good advice I'll follow the next time I go to DV.

I love this photo. The contrast between bushes and the groud, the way the sun illuminâtes the heads of the bushes, the presence of the person. The texture is great.

Neal, if you want to try something, I would be very interested to see this photo darkened significantly so the soils in the shadow becomes much darker, the soil in the sun a little darker, and the house less HDR-like. I may be wrong but I think this would add something to the global texture of the photo. It is a very strong image that could IMHO benefit from such an attempt.

I may also be wrong and the only way to know is to give it a try

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sun 05-May-13 06:50 PM
#8. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 05-May-13 06:53 PM by Wingman

Kimberley, CA

Something like this? I considered this kind of treatment when I originally worked up the shot, but went for the softer version. Maybe others will chime in here on which they prefer...

Edit to say that I don't know how I ended up with TWO versions here! I tried to delete the second, but Nikonians managed to keep it -- Sorry...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 07-May-13 01:00 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I kind of like the image where you can see the person..harder to see when its darker.

do you have any close-us of the shack?

excuse typos...via iPad....

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Tue 07-May-13 03:57 AM
#10. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 9

Kimberley, CA

Not much to the cabin -- I don't have a sense that it was ever a living space, though it did have a privy. There are a couple of big holes in the hills there that only go in for 15 or 20 feet or so. My guess is that this was a work space for some guys who put in a huge amount of effort for no return at all. Actually, that's pretty typical of Death Valley mining history...

Both HDRs with D700. The exterior shot is the 70-300 VR at 155mm, and the interior with 16-35mm at 16mm.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 09-May-13 10:48 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Interesting...there is so much history there..in fact i just purchased a book called "Death Valley and the Amargosa"...a history of the region...

Keep up the great pictures Neal. You ought to write a book about your time in DV and include lots of pictures!

Rick

excuse typos...via iPad....

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 09-May-13 11:05 PM
#14. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 12

Kimberley, CA

That is a great book! I had some trouble reading it at first, as I was so unfamiliar with a lot of the places mentioned. It really is great reading if you keep a detailed map handy so you have more of a sense of things. I recommend the National Geographic Death Valley map. It's available through Amazon if you don't have a copy.

Our boss does want me to do a book on the cabins. Book projects are an enormous amount of work, though, and getting it published can be really difficult in todays publishing environment. I certainly do have a lot of book-worthy material, though. We'll see...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 10-May-13 04:28 AM
1781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 10-May-13 04:30 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Not to mention the idiocy of those who feel compelled to take a piece home with them, like Bodie over the years.

Very nice as always.

Be sure Birgitta signs her release

Rob

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Thu 09-May-13 10:47 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 9

Chesterfield, US

I completely agree with you here... I like the one with the person in the lighter version. It brought something "humane" to an otherwise boring landscape. Just my thoughts...

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 11-May-13 07:34 PM
#17. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Neil,

Sorry for not replying sooner (too much work at my job... sleeping 3-6 hours per night only!!)

SInce it is difficult to explain the effect I was interested to see in this superb composition, I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to make a screen copy and do little processing in CNX2.

I first used Nik polarization filter at the default preset but applied it only to the dark soil using one control point covering the entire photo. Then, I used the Color contrast filter, applied it to the green, and turned the normal contrast to 0, brigthness down from default value, and the color contrast to about half of the default value.

After, I brightened locally very little in the area where the man walks. To make it look natural, I brightened a short imaginary path in front of him, each side, and in front of the cabin. My goal was to brighten it similarly to the path that is already there, on the left side of the cabin. This way, it would look natural.

I don't know if the final result is better, and I could have spent more time on it, but it is closer to what I was talking about.

Certainly, I could have done a better job with the original NEF file since I could have tried modifying exposure a bit as well as white balance.

As I said, it is a fantastic composition and I felt it could be made stronger with such a scene, texture and contrast. It is a very personal taste and I may be the only one trying to make it stronger.

I hope my English conveys well the idea.

Regards,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 11-May-13 09:02 PM
#18. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 17

Kimberley, CA

Thanks to all for commenting, and especially to Yvan for seeing the strength in this composition by my wife Birgitta (and the man in the photo is me!). Your modifications are interesting, and do add to the photo. One problem I have with this ongoing project is that I'm working with very large numbers of captures at each site, and this often prevents me from giving each individual shot the full attention it deserves. I am always interested in anyone else's take on different ways to interpret these images...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 11-May-13 10:17 AM
822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 5

Woodcliff Lake, US

Nice captures, and thanks for the background information - interesting.

Richard

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 04-May-13 09:17 PM
51229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice Image.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 09-May-13 11:00 PM
1882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Death Valley 2013 -- Mountains"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

A very nice image. Makes me want to be there.

Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73732 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.