nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Late afternoon at the boat yard" Previous topic | Next topic
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 01-May-13 02:27 AM
597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Late afternoon at the boat yard"
Wed 01-May-13 08:03 PM by s2sailorlis_nikon

US

Stopped by the boat yard to work on my boat..and brought along a newly acquired Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. Agonized over this purchase for weeks (vs the EDIT: Tokina...).

Am liking this lens, and hope to bring out west in June. Some dust bunnies on the sensor..that i didn't edit out...this is one of my favorite views down the harbor into Long Island Sound. Wanted to wait for better light later in the day -but had to get home...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
01st May 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member
01st May 2013
cogrady Silver Member
01st May 2013
01st May 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
02nd May 2013
Castlk
02nd May 2013
02nd May 2013
Izzie Gold Member
02nd May 2013
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th May 2013

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Wed 01-May-13 12:28 PM
4505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

The light is nice in this shot.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 01-May-13 08:04 PM
597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Larry - the timing was decent. The sun is shining nicely over the LANDFILL on the left side...;>

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Wed 01-May-13 12:54 PM
579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Nice shot. I like the reflections of the boats in the smooth water.

Marinas make for good images.

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Wed 01-May-13 08:06 PM
#4. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you Claudia. I agree that Marinas make for good subject matter - sometimes early morning shots where there is fog can be good times, and of course late afternoon/evening magic hours.

This marina is well protected from the winds for the most part so the waters usually sit still providing nice reflections - you can see the outer harbor in the distance where a SE breeze has set - and the ripples on the water.

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Thu 02-May-13 02:24 AM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Nice shot, Rick. I own the 10-20 myself and love it. It's a great piece of glass. You'll get many great shots with it. As far as this image, I like it. As already mentioned, the still water and reflections are great. However, I think a lot less sky would work better. As is you have a lot of negative space that doesn't add anything. Just my opinion. I still really like it.

Scottie

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 05:30 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 5

Farmingville, US

Nice one Rick, thanks for sharing.

s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2012Thu 02-May-13 01:00 PM
#7. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Scottie - thanks. And yes you are right on the negative space - as I was staring at this I knew I had too much uninteresting sky, i'll probably see if some cropping might help. I took another shot at 10mm (this was shot at 13mm) and it's amazing the difference 3mm makes - of course doing the math...it's close to 30% different if one can use a linear comparison method....

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Thu 02-May-13 06:28 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

Just beautiful...very beautiful...I love the colours...too much sky though. Still, that's a nice shot no matter what...

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 06-May-13 11:51 PM
4969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Late afternoon at the boat yard"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Wonderful light.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73613 Previous topic | Next topic