Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73596
View in linear mode

Subject: "Utah Landscapes" Previous topic | Next topic
Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 09:37 PM
2871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Utah Landscapes"
Tue 30-Apr-13 09:40 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

I spent a couple of days in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks this last weekend.

The silent sentinel was shot near the Windows area of Arches. The sun was setting directly behind the sentinel. The other picture was part of Mesa Arch at sunrise in Canyonlands. There is such a crush of photographers at Mesa Arch that only those who arrive really early and with an extremely wide angle lens have any hope of showing the entire arch. When I got there I had to be content with a spot with a small angle of view, so had to make the best of the situation.

Mesa Arch: D7000 with Nikkor 18-200 mm VR11. ISO 200, F/11, 1/80 sec, tripod.
Sentinel: D7000 with Sigma 150-500 mm.
ISO 640, F/8, 1/400 sec, tripod.

My Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Utah Landscapes
psf914
30th Apr 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
cogrady Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Asgard Administrator
30th Apr 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
01st May 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
01st May 2013
Castlk
02nd May 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Rassie Silver Member
02nd May 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
06th May 2013

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 09:54 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Very nice Koos

I just left there in March after 7 months on a project. I know what you mean about the crowds. Too bad they have to make it difficult to get a good shot. It is a beautiful place though.

Peter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 04:49 PM
2871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 1

Milton, CA

Thanks, Peter. Yes, I guess it's challenging with the crowds sometimes. But then it inspires us to do something different like looking for a different approach or angle. Keeps us on our toes

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Tue 30-Apr-13 09:58 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Nicely done, Rassie. I very much like the second image. This time of year makes for great sunset colors.

Mesa Arch--you did well to capture what you did. It's a lovely image. I've been among the throngs many times. You really have to get there WELL in advance of the first hint of light, doing the hike in darkness with a headlamp. On top of that, you have to know exactly where you want to set up because once the crowds come out there is very little opportunity to move around with your gear. I think if you're there, it's worth the effort.

I'm thinking it's about time for the desert flowers to start the bloom. I'm sure you got many great images. Post 'em up!

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 04:52 PM
#8. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 2

Milton, CA

Thanks, Claudia.
We spent a couple of days in Salt Lake City to attend my nephew's graduation. After that we rented a car and drove to Moab, and from there we explored the parks. Fantastic scenery. Next time maybe we'll rent a jeep and hit the trails - I`m sure there are beautiful scenes along the Colorado River as well.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 10:33 PM
50947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

The first one is very impressive

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 04:53 PM
#9. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 3

Milton, CA

Thanks, Gerold. It helps if one has a photogenic subject

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Wed 01-May-13 11:30 AM
3804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Your shot of Mesa Arch is not the traditional one but it turned out very well. Nice job dealing with the crowd.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 04:55 PM
#10. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 4

Milton, CA

Thanks, Larry. Next time I`ll get there earlier, and with a very wide angle lens. There was a professional photog there who had set up at 04:00 to be there for the 06:16 sunrise. He was there first and had the best location.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Wed 01-May-13 02:33 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

#2 is wonderful. With the silhouette, the hoodoo almost seems to take on a human form. Great light!

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 04:37 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 5

Farmingville, US

Both are very nice images, well done.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 05:00 PM
#12. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 6

Milton, CA

Thank you, Larry. Appreciate the comment.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 02-May-13 04:58 PM
#11. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 5

Milton, CA

Thanks, Dan.
Interesting - I started out with the 18-200 mm lens, then realized less is more and switched to my birding lens to get in closer. That made a difference. The hoodoo does resemble a human, doesn`t it?

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 06-May-13 10:55 PM
4547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Utah Landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Beautiful images.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73596 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.