Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73588
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wetlands along the Boardman RIver" Search result list | Previous match | Next match
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 02:54 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"

Traverse City, US

Here are two versions of the same shot taken earlier in the week near one of my favorite hiking spots along the Boardman River in Traverse City. This is part of the river just south of Boardman Lake. In the Fall, the colors are here are spectacular. The first is what I would normally post after a little work. The second is a more dramatic version using Color Efex Pro 4 a second time.

Nikon D800E Nikon 24-120 F4 matrix metering 1/250 at f8

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver
Asgard Administrator
30th Apr 2013
psf914
02nd May 2013
Skattelite Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
psf914
02nd May 2013
newbird Silver Member
02nd May 2013
psf914
10th May 2013
branthunter Silver Member
17th May 2013
psf914
26th May 2013
cchoc Moderator
17th May 2013
psf914
26th May 2013
pentwater Silver Member
18th May 2013
psf914
26th May 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 10:36 PM
51795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Like both, but the second one is better

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 02-May-13 03:37 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Gerold

I've posted several shots from this area since I've been back and it seems each time everyone prefers the more contrasty version. For me there's a thin line between presenting something as it I saw it (with some touchup to improve the image) and "punching it up" to the point where it becomes an image rather than a photograph. Appreciate your input.

Peter

Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 11:49 PM
1227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

I second that. It just has a little more punch.

Scott

My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 02-May-13 03:40 PM
#4. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Scott

I'm finding that seems to be the case with a number of photos I've posted from the area recently. I'm always concerned about overdoing the post work on something like this and "overcooking" the image. But it's interesting to see the comments on each version when I post them like this. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Peter

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Thu 02-May-13 09:46 PM
2003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 4

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Hi Peter,

My fav is #1.5 In other words, I would keep the water of #1 and the remaining of the scene of #2.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 10-May-13 05:31 PM
#6. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Yvan

I agree... and that's easily done with U point technology on Photomatix. Just have to isolate the water from the process and have another go at it. Appreciate the input.

cheers
Peter

branthunter Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2012Fri 17-May-13 06:03 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I really like this shot but would bet that #1 is closer to what your eye actually saw.

If you don't go you won't get anything

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 26-May-13 11:34 AM
#10. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks Robert

And yes... the first is more representative of what it looked like. However the sky was more contrasty than it shows in the first shot so I played with it to make it more dramatic and closer to how it appeared. There's a fine line at times between a realistic presentation and something thats over processed. Interesting thing though... I showed both versions to a number of people and everyone liked the more dramatic sky. Go figure ...

Peter

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberFri 17-May-13 10:48 PM
4578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

I'd go with 1.5 as well . I like the sky from #1 and the water from #2.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 26-May-13 11:36 AM
#11. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 8

Traverse City, US

Thanks Charlie

There's a lot to work with on this shot. And with the software it's not that difficult to isolate various parts of the photo for touchup. I'll play around with this a bit. Already have some interest in it from a local business.

cheers
Peter

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sat 18-May-13 01:20 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

Nice shot! I'd vote for number 2... then again I really like Color Efex 4. The decision is probably centered around shooting for optimum accuracy vs shooting for the pure aesthetic appeal of the shot. Each has its place, but with the vagaries of Northern Michigan's weather, particularly this spring (!), I'm not adverse to giving nature some help!

Cheers,

Bill

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 26-May-13 11:39 AM
#12. "RE: Wetlands along the Boardman RIver"
In response to Reply # 9

Traverse City, US

I agree with you Bill

As I mentioned above, the majority of people I've showed this to have chosen the more dramatic version. And I've seen some nice shots turned into something very nice and dramatic with a touch of contrast and saturation. Finding the proper amount is the key.

Appreciate the input

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73588Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.