nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73537
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spring in the Sleeping Bear Dunes" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 01:59 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spring in the Sleeping Bear Dunes"

Traverse City, US

Drove out to Leelanau County to hike and photograph the Sleeping Bear Dunes which is part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore along Lake Michigan. Very few people are here this time of year and it was perfect weather for a several mile hike thru the dunes.

Nikon D800E Nikon 24-120 f 4.0

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Otsego Photog Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 07:58 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spring in the Sleeping Bear Dunes"
In response to Reply # 0

Otsego, US

This area is also one of my favorite areas. I would also suggest the next time you are there, take some time to photograph the D.H. Day Barn. The barn has been rehab by a local contractor, into a large white barn with a cedar shake roof, that just glows in the early morning light. The barn is located North of the SBDNP, on the road to Glen Arbor, about 3 - 4 miles north. The barn will be on the right hand side driving north. You can photograph the barn from the south and north side, with the early morning light rising above the tree hedge, on the east side of the barn. There is a public road on the south side and the east side that you can use to set up. On the north side there is a open field to the north of the fence that surrounds the total barn property. I have taken some images from this field, in the early morning. This is truly an iconic barn from the early 1800's. D. H. Day was an owner of some the dunes park land today. I have not shot in the late afternoon light but it should also produce some good images. Most people drive by this great barn at about 60mph and miss this wonderful barn. Have fun and keep shoooting.
Jack

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 03:20 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spring in the Sleeping Bear Dunes"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Hey Jack

When I was still living here in Michigan I drove by the D H Day farm many times. Took the attached photo the day of the Dunes Climb. Didn't walk across the field to get a better angle but took the shot just for a record. The shots I posted of the dunes were more for the benefit of those who've never been there. Light was pretty flat and unimpressive but it's always a beautiful place to hike. Early morning or sunset obviously would provide much more dramatic shots for anyone interested in visiting here. Looks like it's free for now as well until they open the guard shack at the entrance to the parking lot.

The other shot here of the overlook from Stocking Drive I shot a couple years ago in October while I was home visiting between projects. I've sold several large format of this version to some businesses around the country.

cheers
Peter

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Otsego Photog Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 10:03 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spring in the Sleeping Bear Dunes"
In response to Reply # 2

Otsego, US

Really like you D. H. Day shot well done. This part of Michigan can really offer some wonderful images. Keep shooting!
Jack

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73537 Previous topic | Next topic