Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73515
View in linear mode

Subject: "Death Valley Road" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sun 28-Apr-13 06:49 AM
1183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Death Valley Road"
Sun 28-Apr-13 04:18 PM by Wingman

Kimberley, CA

I've been collecting road pictures for a while. Roads these days tend to be cut straight through the landscape. This old road -- still heavily travelled -- just kind of slides through.

If you look closely at the sky area, you can see that it's raining. I hate shooting in "bad weather", because it tends to be uncomfortable.
However, I find myself racing out whenever clouds appear -- because the pictures turn out so well...

D800, 24-120 F4 at 58mm
F10 at 1/400, ISO 400

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, ( file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Death Valley Road
Asgard Administrator
28th Apr 2013
RiverWader Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
Skattelite Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
29th Apr 2013
psf914
29th Apr 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
30th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
29th Apr 2013
russg Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Valentino Gold Member
05th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
06th May 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
06th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
06th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
06th May 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
04th May 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
06th May 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
06th May 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 28-Apr-13 02:37 PM
51210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice shot

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

RiverWader Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2010Sun 28-Apr-13 05:00 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Gardner, US

Like the contrasts. Nice job.

-Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 09:26 PM
1225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Great light, lovely warm/cool contrast.
Scott

My Nikonians Gallery

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 08:03 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Neal, what road s this? At first i thought it might be Twenty Mule Canyon, bu a 2nd glance makes me think it's somewhere else....

excuse typos...via iPad....

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 09:18 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Very Nice

I really like the contrast in lighting here and the composition is right on. As far as shooting in bad weather... my favorite time to be out with the camera... best chance for dramatic light like this.

cheers
Peter

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Mon 29-Apr-13 09:56 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice image Neal. Barren can be beautiful, & the road doesn't look too imposing in this shot......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Mon 29-Apr-13 10:22 PM
1183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 6

Kimberley, CA

Thanks to all for the positive comments! I love this shot, and I'm glad it appeals to others as well -- sometimes my tastes get a bit esoteric and obscure...

It is Twenty Mule Team Canyon. I avoided this area for years because it is so well known and heavily visited. I tend to prefer the unknown and unvisited, and our current project does get us "out there" a lot. I did start visiting Twenty Mule Team a couple of years ago because few visitors actually get out of their cars and walk there even though the walking there can be wildly rewarding. It's also only 20 minutes from where we live when in Death Valley, so when I need a break from the computer I can drive there, take a walk, and be back to work in a couple of hours.

I love the D800 for this kind of work because of it's remarkable dynamic range -- it has even more than my beloved D3. I exposed for the highlights here which left the sky and distant mountains pretty dark before post processing -- they had to be pulled up a lot. I've printed this at 13 by 19 inches so far and the print is flawless -- utterly sharp and noiseless. I love that camera!

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 01:58 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Ahh..my first instinct was correct. When I drove it last October, i pulled over a few times where there was room...it was a warm, cloudless super sunny day so i didn't get any shots of real interest. I prob should have walked around some more...the first time i got out some aggressive bee/wasp was flying all around me...needless to day i decided not to get stung and ran back into the car....oddly enough yet another aggressive wasp or whatever was pestering me at Badwater....maybe it was the hat i was wearing...jeesh...

So you live that close to DVNP? You ought to give private photo tours!

Rick

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 03:21 AM
#10. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 30-Apr-13 03:28 AM by Wingman

Kimberley, CA

I actually am lucky enough to live there in the winter. Birgitta and I are volunteers there, doing a long term project documenting and photographing the many backcountry cabins and structures left over from the mining days. Very cool job -- involves a lot of 4WD driving into truly remarkable places, and then hanging out for days at a time. The only problem is that I'm working harder at this than I ever worked before I retired.

Living in a National Park is highly recommended. No phone (our choice) no internet no TV (absolutely our choice). Fascinating people work there. Great boss -- lets us do our thing without any interference. In fact he basically let us design our job and develop the "cabin program". Everybody there loves the work we're doing. We gave a slide show and talk about our work to senior Park management just before we left and it was very well received.

This is one of the stranger places we've done recently. It is a long abandoned sulfur mine up in the North part of the park. The park is trying to figure out just what to do with this place. It's a mess and would be a monumental and expensive reclamation job. Thorough records of a site like this are very useful in this sort of decision making...

D3, 24-70mm at 50mm
F11 at 1/250. ISO 200, tripod

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 10:52 PM
3926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

You caught good light.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 10:56 AM
1287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Nice shot, Neal! You know, I think road photos would make a really good monthly challenge. Mods, what say you?

Russ

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Sun 05-May-13 10:12 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Good idea. We'll do this sometime in 2013

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Mon 06-May-13 01:20 AM
#14. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 13

Kimberley, CA

Road pictures can be fun, and boy does Death Valley have some roads! This is actually a real and legal road up in the North part of the park. It does not get a lot of traffic, for some reason...

Birgitta does not look real happy here -- she lives in eternal horror of bending a government truck. She hates to spot, though, and is a more patient driver than I am, so I'm the one who gets out and gives directions while she creeps through.

D3, 24-70 at 48mm
F16 at 1/60, ISO 500, handheld

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Mon 06-May-13 01:35 AM
#15. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Neal,

That seems like a big 'ole LWB truck for the desert. Do they ever let you use their Hummers?

Rick

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Mon 06-May-13 02:55 AM
#16. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 15

Kimberley, CA

Only one Hummer in the Park, and that one is reserved for one of the back country Law Enorcement guys (who maintains it himself, as the auto shop guys don't like it much). This ole Dodge is absolutely enormous -- makes our personal 4Runner seem downright petite. We've gotten the Dodge stuck a couple of times now -- 4WD is definitely not all it's cracked up to be. Definitely not like those ads on TV!. If you're gonna do this kind of stuff it's awfully nice to have radio and satellite phone communication available...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Mon 06-May-13 03:36 AM
#17. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 16

Kimberley, CA

You do need to pay attention in some of these places. I would not like to try to do this "road" solo...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 04-May-13 04:14 AM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

Very Nice! I love the desert.

my website

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 06-May-13 10:53 AM
2520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

It's easy to understand why Death Valley earned its name. But the road shows that it was home to some forms of life eons ago. Good timing, as regards the direction of light, and great clouds.

Regards, Antero

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 06-May-13 10:49 PM
4587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Death Valley Road"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Nicely done.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73515 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.