Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73514
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon" Previous topic | Next topic
Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 06:37 AM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"

Perth, AU

I have just returned from a little excursion away, and managed to get some shooting time in amongst the other things we had on.
I was really hoping to shoot the Milky Way, but a Full Moon filled the sky for the duration of our stay, so I took the opportunity to experiment with that and the Landscape.
So, this was taken pre dawn, as the ambient light in the east played against the light from the full moon. I was attempting to marry the two lights in an attempt to see what effect I could get, and this is the result. You can see the glare from the moon on the water in the middle of the image.
I pushed and pulled it a bit in Lightroom, but not too much. Your thoughts welcome.
Scott
D3x, 17-35mm, f/5, 5 sec, 640 iso, 3 stop GND (left my trusty 2 stop at home and had to make do!)

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon
Asgard Administrator
28th Apr 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Apr 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
28th Apr 2013
Marshallarts Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
newbird Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
28th Apr 2013
Skattelite Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
cogrady Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
Cavy2 Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
Skattelite Silver Member
29th Apr 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 28-Apr-13 02:37 PM
50845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Wonderful image

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 28-Apr-13 02:51 PM
1863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I like the image. The tone makes it appear very peaceful to me. Nice job.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 03:28 PM
3742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Very nice shot.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Marshallarts Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2013Sun 28-Apr-13 04:00 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Beautiful, very subtle

P

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PaulMarshallPhotographer

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 04:04 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Very nice composition ! The converging directions of the clouds and of the water, as well as the rocks, all contribute to take our eye towards the horizon where the reflected light of the moon is.

Excellent work !

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 28-Apr-13 08:32 PM
1945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Beautiful image, Scott! I agree with Yvan. All elements pull the eyes to the horizon. I love the retreating water. It almost looks like a daytime shot. Very nicely done.

Scottie

Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 09:22 PM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Thanks for the positive feedback, gents.
Scott

My Nikonians Gallery

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Sun 28-Apr-13 10:40 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Great image. The exposure is just right. Terrific detail in the foreground rocks and nothing blown out. Nice one.

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 06:05 AM
4336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 8

Newtown, US

Magical use of the pre dawn and moonlight! Wonderful composition!

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 07:25 AM
#10. "RE: Mitchell Rocks, Full Moon"
In response to Reply # 9

Perth, AU

Thanks very much Claudia and Kathy.
I appreciate the feedback.
Scott
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73514 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.