Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73411
View in linear mode

Subject: "Death Valley 2013" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Tue 23-Apr-13 06:21 PM
1175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Death Valley 2013"

Kimberley, CA

I'm back from my second Winter season of shooting in Death Valley National Park. As always it was a remarkable experience!

This shot is for all those who have avoided this place because it's "too hot and too dry". I was wearing a heavy fleece jacket and windbreaker, a hat that covers my ears, and fleece gloves and still got chilled...

D3, 24-70 f2.8 at 24mm
F11 at 1/200, ISO 800, handheld

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Death Valley 2013
CK Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
24th Apr 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
24th Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
Robman3
27th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
Robman3
28th Apr 2013
newbird Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
jxv777 Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
newbird Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
Wingman Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
Robman3
26th Apr 2013

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Tue 23-Apr-13 08:28 PM
1784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Cool shot -- no pun intended. Gives us a different perspective than we usually associate with Death Valley.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Wed 24-Apr-13 12:27 AM
1175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 1

Kimberley, CA

Thank you...

Death Valley is the size of some Eastern States. It has close to 1000 miles of back country jeep roads.

This was shot on December 30 of last year -- this is where we spent New Years. It's about 40 degrees and those are snow squalls headed our way. We had a great time there...

Note the pickup truck on the road near the bottom of the photograph. This place is big.

D800, 24-120 F4 at 84mm.
F11 at 1/125, ISO 200

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 02:18 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Neal, your photography of DVNP is phenomenal. Your skills at capturing just the right light are incredible. If I could shoot half as good as you I would be content!

I did my first DVNP soiree last October after a Vegas business trip. I only spent two days there hitting the main sites...but i was a memorable trip....I'm in Vegas this June and likely again in late Oct/ early Nov again..

Rick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Wed 24-Apr-13 01:48 PM
3913 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 2

Lakeville, US

Excellent photos.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 26-Apr-13 03:50 PM
2362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 2

Hectorspruit, ZA

This mountain could have been a textbook example of geology features. I hope you do not mind but I would like to show this picture to a Geologist friend of mine.
Thank you for these beautiful pictures

Aart

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Fri 26-Apr-13 11:37 PM
#12. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 11

Kimberley, CA

Thank you Rob. Much of the magic of our experience there is simply being there day after day for months at a time, and being willing and able to just be in these places watching things happen.

There are actually four of my shots in the new Visitor Center diplays. Oddly cropped and with wonky color but still nice to see there. I'll post a shot when I get a chance.

And Thank you, Aart. I'd be delighted if you show it to whoever might be interested! I agree with your comments. Most of Death Valley is mountains, and the mountains don't have any clothes on. It's a geologist' paradise!

And it's all part of a bigger story. In the shots above I'm shooting from the "X" in both shots below. In the sunset mountain shot above, I'm shooting straight left from the "X". In the posts above that show "Striped Butte", I'm now on the ridge above and to the left of the Butte. To the right in the shots below is Manley Peak -- a granite pluton intruded into the existing sedimentary layers. Thus the feeling in the shots above of shooting from a granite landscape into a layered landscape.

The striped butte in the above shots can be seen from above in these photos. These shots have been worked pretty extensively in PP (one is even an HDR) to enhance contrast and make detais visible...

Both were with a D3 and 24-120 F4.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 27-Apr-13 02:57 AM
1781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 12

West of Santa Monica, US

I did scrutinize the very small and pixelated names of the image makers on those blow ups, but was unable to ID which ones were yours.

I miss the old relief map and dioramas but they did a good job. I'm not sure about the rain gauge, dehydration pan and NWS thermometer outside in back, if they updated that as well.

I guess Bob would know.

We'd love to see anything else you have.

Rob

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sun 28-Apr-13 04:03 AM
#14. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 13

Kimberley, CA

Here is one shot they used. This panel is just outside the entrance into the museum area -- the shot on the upper right is ours, and features my wife as the model. She's quite amused at being featured in a museum! The image was discussed last Fall in this thread:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=173&topic_id=87945&prev_page=show_topic&gid=87945#88004

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sun 28-Apr-13 09:58 PM
1781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 28-Apr-13 09:58 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Neal,

I did not scrutinize the edges of this one.

Nice!

Also, the new HD video in the theater, amazing.

All and only at golden or blue hour, fantastic camera work.

Congratulations.

Rob Manning

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Wed 24-Apr-13 12:27 AM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Nice photo ! Where was it exactly ?

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th May 2009Wed 24-Apr-13 04:36 AM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 0

Kirkland, WA, US

Nice shot!

James

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Wed 24-Apr-13 05:29 AM
#6. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 5

Kimberley, CA

Thanks to all!

I've come to love Death Valley, and I enjoy showing that it's not all sand dunes, cactus and 130 degrees in the shade.

That first shot is of Salt Creek. There is an old trail that leads beyond the end of the boardwalk a couple of miles to a place called MacLean Spring (also known as Burned Wagon Point). This pool is along that trail. Birgitta and I were there about three weeks ago in warmer weather and the pool was full of schools of tiny Pupfish.

Here's another shot from that afternoon of snow flurries.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 12:30 AM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 6

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

SUperb! THis is my fav one!

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 25-Apr-13 02:48 AM
#9. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 8

Kimberley, CA

Thank you -- I'm glad people are enjoying these efforts.

Our job in Death Valley is to document in depth the many back country cabins and mining structures that remain. This allows us to justify being out there for days at a time at each site. We've gone for days at some of these places without seeing another soul. A side benefit of all this is that we just get to hang out and watch things happen...

D3, 24-70 at 58mm
F5 at 1/50, ISO 800

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 26-Apr-13 08:13 AM
#10. "RE: Death Valley 2013"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Apr-13 08:21 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Brilliant as ever Neil.

Most visitors to DVNP, spend (one) night, and there are over 2MM annually, hardly time to get off the bus or out of the car, and, in the summer, completely booked with EU centric folks.

I tried finding your image on the large blow ups in the visitor center, but wasn't able to spot the work you said they would use. Perhaps it is in the showing from the staff which I was not there to see in March?

For those who do not know, Pup Fish are Pleistocene and have adapted to salt environs. They inhabit mostly remote desert pools in parts of Nevada, California, Arizona and Northern Mexico deserts.

All strains are unique and on the endangered list.

February into March, they are visible spawning around the interpretive trail stream(s) otherwise they hang out in upper salt creek (your photo) and are not so visible.

Rob

PS, I complained to corporate about dumbing down one of the best steak houses in the USA, the Wrangler. Went to the top, they answered in one day, just in remodel mode, steaks will return but they really screwed up our ritual New Years Eve dinner.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #73411 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.